Marc Marquez claimed his usual rank in the MotoGP pecking order as racing action got underway at Brno. The defending champ and current runaway points leader topped the combined Free Practice timesheet ahead of rivals Jorge Lorenzo (Movistar Yamaha) and Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda).
Marquez and the rest of his MotoGP rivals set their fastest laps of the day in FP1, as rain fell the afternoon practice session. Marquez, who looks to maintain his undefeated season in Sunday’s Czech GP, was 0.037 ahead of Lorenzo in FP1. Pedrosa was 0.052 behind his HRC teammate.
"I am happy with how the practices went today as the track has changed substantially compared with how it was when we tested here,” said Marquez in a Repsol team press release. “I expected this, and we adapted our setup accordingly in the sessions –although I am still not entirely satisfied. In the afternoon when the track was wet – especially at the start of FP2 – I was able to lap consistently and I felt good which is important. We will see what the weather is like tomorrow and if we can have a good qualifying session".
The provisional front row is trailed by Forward Racing’s Aleix Espargaro, who got the better of factory Yamaha rider Valentino Rossi. The nine-time world champion Rossi is slated to make GP history at Brno this weekend, marking his 245th premier class start, tying Alex Barros.
LCR Honda’s Stefan Bradl rounds out the provisional second row, followed by the fastest Ducati riders on the day, Andrea Dovizioso and Pramac Racing’s Yonny Hernandez. The Tech 3 Yamaha duo of Pol Espargaro and Bradley Smith complete the top 10.
2014 MotoGP Brno Friday Results:
1. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) 1'56.803
2. Jorge Lorenzo (Movistar Yamaha) 1'56.840
3. Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda) 1'56.855
4. Aleix Espargaro (Forward Racing) 1'57.002
5. Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha) 1'57.065
6. Stefan Bradl (LCR Honda) 1'57.084
7. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) 1'57.169
8. Yonny Hernandez (Pramac Racing) 1'57.190
9. Pol Espargarò (Tech 3 Yamaha) 1'57.634
10. Bradley Smith (Tech 3 Yamaha) 1'57.816
11. Michele Pirro (Ducati Team) 1'58.040
12. Andrea Iannone (Pramac Racing) 1'58.061
13. Scott Redding (Gresini Honda) 1'58.301
14. Cal Crutchlow (Ducati Team) 1'58.340
15. Alvaro Bautista (Gresini Honda) 1'58.698
16. Hector Barbera (Avintia Racing) 1'58.714
17. Hiroshi Aoyama (Drive M7 Aspar) 1'58.895
18. Karel Abraham (Cardion AB) 1'59.216
19. Alex De Angelis (Forward Racing) 1'59.959
20. Mike Di Meglio (Avintia Racing) 2'00.240
21. Michael Laverty (Paul Bird Motorsport) 2'00.345
22. Leon Camier (Drive M7 Aspar) 2'00.445
23. Danilo Petrucci (IodaRacing Team) 2'00.497
24. Broc Parkes (Paul Bird Motorsport) 2'00.752