Repsol Honda’s Marc Marqeuz leads the way into Sunday’s race at Silverstone, taking his 10th pole position of the season. Ducati’s Andrea Dovizioso finished second-fastest followed by Movistar Yamaha’s Jorge Lorenzo in third.
Marquez started the day with a low-side crash in practice, but it was a minor off and he finished out the session on his second bike, taking the top-spot once again. The Spaniard proceeded through qualifying without incident, taking the front on his second flying lap. He was later challenged by Lorenzo, who moved to provisional pole late in the session, but Marquez’s final rotation sealed the deal, coming within two-tenths of the circuit record.
"It was a difficult qualifying session, because it was hard to get heat into the front tire,” said Marquez. “However, I am happy with pole position –more than anything because of how comfortable I am feeling this weekend. I am finding it easy to set a fast pace, and this is important at this track, which is bumpy and long. Let's hope that we have a sunny day tomorrow, or at least that it doesn't rain, and we will try to fight for the win right from the first lap.”
Dovi enjoyed a brief stint at the top of the timesheet after grabbing a tow from Lorenzo on the first fast lap of the session. Later, Dovi dropped to sixth but his final effort moved him back to the front row. Lorenzo got bumped to third after the Ducati ace crossed the line.
NGM Mobile Forward Racing’s Aleix Espargaro heads-up the second row, followed by Marquez’s teammate, Dani Pedrosa in fifth. Lorenzo’s teammate, Valentino Rossi, will start Sunday’s race in sixth.
Tech 3 Yamaha riders Bradley Smith and Pol Espargaro sit seventh and eighth, respectively, with LCR Honda’s Stefan Bradl placing ninth. Bradl had a tough go early in the day, suffering low-sides in both FP3 and FP4. Pramac Ducati’s Andrea Iannone had an off as well, coming late in Q2 and ending his chance to challenge for higher grid position, leaving him to start from 10th. Go & Fun Honda Gresini’s Scott Redding finished as the fastest Open Class Honda in 11th followed by his teammate, Alvaro Bautista, in 12th.
MotoGP Silverstone Qualifying Results 2014
1. Marc Marquez (Honda) 2’00.829
2. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati) 2’01.140
3. Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha) 2’01.175
4. Aleix Espargaro (Forward Yamaha) 2’01.448
5. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) 2’01.464
6. Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) 2’01.550
7. Bradley Smith (Yamaha) 2’01.593
8. Pol Espargaro (Yamaha) 2’01.747
9. Stefan Bradl (Honda) 2’01.973
10. Andrea Iannone (Ducati) 2’02.064
11. Scott Redding (Honda) 2’02.116
12. Alvaro Bautista (Honda) 2’03.618
13. Yonny Hernandez (Ducati) 2’03.046
14. Karel Abraham (Honda) 2’03.206
15. Cal Crutchlow (Ducati) 2’03.407
16. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda) 2’03.563
17. Alex De Angelis (Forward Yamaha) 2’03.686
18. Leon Camier (Honda) 2’03.696
19. Danilo Petrucci (ART) 2’04.755
20. Michael Laverty (PBM) 2’04.836
21. Hector Barbera (Avintia) 2’04.957
22. Mike Di Meglio (Avintia) 2’05.451
23. Broc Parkes (PBM) 2’06.106