Basic Rider Course

Posted at 4/29/2013 1:24:40 PM

Glw

Glw Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Newbie

Basic Rider Course

Hello, I'm new to the Forum. I'm a girl who has decided to try riding a motorcycle. Growing up I wasn't allowed to try anything at all so haven't had a lot of experience in any sport, or anything really. My parents were convinced I'd die, even learning to swim.

This past weekend I tried the Basic Rider Course and did ok first day but dismal second day. I was ousted the first hour of the second day. I couldn't get the U turn so that was me out. The instructor told me to try again another weekend.

I really feel I'd like to give it a go, but is it true that some people just can't get it, or with persistence is it likely that I could pass the course? I had about 5 tries at the U turn before I got put out.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Posted at 4/29/2013 1:55:42 PM

Kootenanny

Profile Photo Kootenanny

• Motorcycle Rider

I feel for ya. Growing up in the 60s and 70s, I had the opportunity to do all kinds of stuff (I actually remember being "free range" every day after school with my friends until our mothers called us in to supper...we walked or rode our bicycles everywhere, and all of us made it home alive...).

However, when I taught motorcycling in the 80s, I met lots of people from different backgrounds. And I'm happy to report that pretty much everyone who came to our classes learned to ride a motorcycle. Some learned more slowly, but...everyone learned! (Our classes were 4 days on the range, though, so a bit more practice time...)

That said, I'll ask you this: did you ride a bicycle as a kid? Do you drive a car?--manual shift? These are not pre-requisites, but they involve some skills that will have to be learned from scratch otherwise, which can put you a step behind right off the bat.

Sounds to me like you have a positive attitude, which is more than half the battle. With persistence, I'm sure you'll get it! Just keep in mind that confidence is a huge part of riding (as it is with any sport)--don't let little failures get you down, you WILL learn.

Posted at 4/29/2013 1:56:54 PM

GAJ

Profile Photo GAJ

• Motorcycle Rider

Can you do a U Turn on a bicycle?

If yes, my thoughts are that with practice you'll be able to do it on a small motorcycle.

Assuming you do eventually pass the course, and assuming you buy a small motorcycle, with experience you will find you can do it on any motorcycle no matter the size...even on a hill!

Google "How to doa u turn on a motorcycle" and you will come across several videos that show it and explain it quite well.

Current bikes: F800ST, DRZ400SM

Past bikes, starting with the first in 1970: CB50, K75S, Seca 550, Nighthawk 750, TL1000S

Posted at 4/29/2013 2:06:29 PM

Glw

Profile Photo Glw

• Motorcycle Newbie

Hi, thanks for your feedback. Yes I can ride a bicycle and I'm sure I could do a U turn on a bicycle. I can drive a manual shift car. I just had a feeling of fear when I was on the motorcycle.

Posted at 4/29/2013 2:38:28 PM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

I was wondering what bike you were riding. I've been riding for a long time and while I can u turn easily on a small, nimble bike I'm sure I would have trouble on a larger machine. I'm not sure if I could do it well on the SV Suzuki I've recently bought, but I don't really care. There are more useful skills to master than doing u turns. Small, nimble, light motorcycles are much easier to ride than even moderate weight machines, particularly if you are nervous about riding.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 4/29/2013 8:50:19 PM

Kootenanny

Profile Photo Kootenanny

• Motorcycle Rider

Glw said:Hi, thanks for your feedback. Yes I can ride a bicycle and I'm sure I could do a U turn on a bicycle. I can drive a manual shift car. I just had a feeling of fear when I was on the motorcycle.

Motorcycles are intimidating. Larger motorcycles more so, which is one reason so many people recommend starting off with something small and light. As you can ride a bicycle and know how to operate a clutch, then it's simply the intimidation factor you need to overcome. A good approach to this is to start on something very small and light.

I own two bikes: the Buell I wouldn't recommend to a beginner, but my Yamaha XT225 is almost the perfect bike to learn on, as it's light and very easy to ride, yet tough enough to take abuse such as getting dropped. I'd suggest you investigate something along those lines, or if you need more of a street bike, perhaps the Honda CBR250R (here in Canada the CBR125R is also available, it's even lighter--very much a "bicycle with an engine"). There are also some 250cc cruisers on the market, if that's your preference; I'm not a big fan of the cruiser riding position, but many people love 'em.

Posted at 5/6/2013 6:45:48 PM

lionlady

Profile Photo lionlady

• MCUSA Moderator

Your coaches failed you. Unless you dropped the bike repeatedly, or simply didn't try, I can't think of a reason to kick a student out of the class after only a few tries at this first exercise.

Posted at 5/7/2013 9:56:39 AM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA

lionlady said:Your coaches failed you. Unless you dropped the bike repeatedly, or simply didn't try, I can't think of a reason to kick a student out of the class after only a few tries at this first exercise.

I agree with this point of view. This should have been a fairly easy thing to achieve with some focused attention. For some stupid reason I was having a ittle trouble with making a tight right turn from a stop. But my rider coach stopped the class and spent a moment with me to go over technique and give me a little focused attention. I nailed it the very next try and never thought about it again.

OP, I would not let this experience get you down. It sounds like you are determined to learn and that is good. I would practice on the bicycle a little bit just to get a more familiar feeling with being on 2 wheels and maneuvering with 2 wheels. It will help. And when you are ready, get as different rider coach.

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 5/8/2013 5:31:06 AM

Easy Rider

Profile Photo Easy Rider

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom

Glw said:Yes I can ride a bicycle and I'm sure I could do a U turn on a bicycle.

Don't ASSume. Get a bicycle and DO IT. Practice on the bike......and then go back.

Yes, there are some people who can't get over their fear and they should NOT be riding a motorcycle. Constant fear makes you a BAD rider.

Don't believe EVERYTHING that you think.
--------------------
My bike:
'10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom

Posted at 5/13/2013 12:46:48 PM

mpadway

Profile Photo mpadway

• Motorcycle Newbie

i dont see why with a little practice you couldnt master the uturn just like any other rider. Remember we all started out learning at one point. I think its great that you're motivated enough to go back and train multiple times without giving up. That persistence will get you far in life - hopefully on a motorcycle!

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 1

There are 10 posts in this thread.