Noise

Posted at 6/30/2013 11:31:53 AM

Dochands

Dochands Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Newbie

Do you think there should be dirt bike track next to a residential neighborhood?

I don't want to be a jerk but someone has plowed up a piece of land near my house and near a whole bunch of houses and built a dirt track.

At least once a week it sounds like a thousand chain saws all day long into the evening.

I posted my concern about this to my friends on Facebook and one of those 'friends' who has started riding dirt flamed me and was extremely disrespectful.

I have no problem with riding. Obviously ride myself but I didn't buy an expensive house in a nice quiet neighborhood to listen to the noise on my quiet Saturday. When I ride I am respectful enough to do it away from town and people's neighborhoods.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to make this situation work for everyone? I think someone has a piece of land and just thinks they can do whatever they want but I can't believe that is appropriate or legal.

Edited by Dochands at 6/30/2013 11:33:32 AM

Results (7 Votes)

Yes. I should be able to ride wherever I want. (0% 0 Votes)
Maybe. As long as the hours are limited. (29% 2 Votes)
No. Dirt tracks and trails should be away from whe (71% 5 Votes)

Posted at 6/30/2013 7:22:58 PM

Easy Rider

Profile Photo Easy Rider

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom

Dochands said:At least once a week it sounds like a thousand chain saws all day long into the evening.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to make this situation work for everyone?

All day long you might have to live with; long into the evening, not so much.

But you really have to ask in a place like this for advice.....REALLY ??

OK, here goes:

If you aren't within a city limits, call the Sheriff and ask them to send a deputy out at your mutual convenience to see the place and advise you as to what governmental agency DOES have zoning jurisdiction in that specific area.......and what the Sheriff knows, If anyhthing, about noise and nuisance laws for your area.

BUT NO, I'm not suggesting that you sick the law on them.....at least not right away, unless maybe the whole operation really IS totally ILLEGAL.

What I am suggesting ia that finding out the legalities of the situation can put you in a MUCH better position to negotiate with the land owner......or for your lawyer to negotiate if you are shy.

OR....if you have the resources, pay a lawyer to look into it for you. Just confronting the land owner with no facts is likely a BAD thing to do.

Edited by Easy Rider at 6/30/2013 7:23:53 PM

Edited by Easy Rider at 6/30/2013 7:24:23 PM

Don't believe EVERYTHING that you think.
--------------------
My bike:
'10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom

Posted at 8/7/2013 5:11:59 PM

TNrider127

Profile Photo TNrider127

• Motorcycle Newbie

Similar situation happened with me, except I was on the other end of it. I was the rider on the track near a nice neighborhood. The track was on my land. In the county I lived in, there was absolutely ZERO laws/regulations restricting me from riding between 9am and 9pm. Before or after that the county had a noise ordinance which I'm sure I would've been in violation of. That said, if the track was dusty, that was a different story as that was by law considered a nuisance and possible vandalism if it got bad enough and blew towards the houses in the neighborhood.

Here's what I did. First, I only rode when the track was moist. Second, we never had more than 3 bikes on the track at one time in an effort to keep the noise down. Third, I spoke with the neighbors, and came up with a plan agreed upon by everyone to only ride 3 days a week. It was any 3 days, but only 3 days a week. That went a long way with them by showing them some respect and finding a solution with them. Rode that track for 5 years like that and never one problem, most of the time the neighbors would ride their golf carts over and watch while I rode. Your best bet is to approach them with both parties in mind and a level head. After all, they are on their property and depending on your area and laws may not be breaking any rules. If you go in hot and demand they stop and they are within your local laws, you are asking for it to get 100x worse. Find a compromise with them, most of the time they don't even know they are being a nuisance to you and will work with you to find some solution that makes both sides happy. Good luck.

Posted at 8/8/2013 3:39:00 PM

Easy Rider

Profile Photo Easy Rider

• Motorcycle Rider

TNrider127 said: most of the time they don't even know they are being a nuisance to you

EXCELLENT post......except for THAT part.

I ain't buying that for one millisecond.

You might occasionally run across somebody who is that dense but "most of the time"; no way.

--------------------
My bike:

Posted at 8/9/2013 7:15:25 AM

TNrider127

Profile Photo TNrider127

• Motorcycle Newbie

@ Easy RIder. Yeah, your probably right. Most of the time wasn't the right phrase. Maybe a better way to put it is that they think the neighbors love motorcycles as much as them and want to watch/get involved, which is typically not the case. But how can you expect them to know any different if you dont approach them about the situation?

Posted at 8/11/2013 8:14:24 AM

Easy Rider

Profile Photo Easy Rider

• Motorcycle Rider

TNrider127 said:But how can you expect them to know any different if you dont approach them about the situation?

It depends on the situation.
Sometimes the dialog will be productive and sometimes not.
Sometimes you end up with with threats or worse.

If there IS an official way to handle it, I think it is best to let the "officials" handle it.

Edited by Easy Rider at 12/1/2013 5:57:18 AM

--------------------
My bike:

Posted at 11/30/2013 10:35:07 AM

Michael D

Profile Photo Michael D

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2007 Interceptor 800

I live out side the city limits about 15 miles. 25 years ago my nearest neighbor was a half mile away. My brother inlaw decided to sell a bunch of 5 acre losts and wala I have neighbors 900 feet to my east and 2000 feet to my west. I had 15 acres until a year ago. I now have 20. I have always had a track of about 5 acres out back. Never had any issues. My oldest neighbor and closest loves to share with maintaining it and uses it any time. Over the years my boys and their friends have had many memories made. Noise? We consider the sound of a two stroke music. We found ourselfs with a problem about five years ago when land was sold to some folks that detested anything on two wheels. They came to the house and I greeted them and offered them coffee. In a very unfriendly manner they began telling me when and how I would use my track. Mind you we only use it during day time hours. Never on Sundays,nor if any neighbors were having a event. No more than two or three hours at a time except on Sat. Very rarely every day of the week.
I try to be friendly and work with them but it was their way or the hiway.
I finally told them to get a life and not come back. They called the Sheriff on us and found there were no laws being broken. Two winters ago they were snowed in unable to get out. Guess who dug them out and bladed there 100 foot drive. They lost there elec. Guess who loaned them a generator. Their boy now 14 decided he wanted a dirt bike. He now rides almost daily, where? My house.
Ive had folks ask if we could ride at different times or not at all for one reason or another. Never a problem. Go talk to them. Once a week seems very reasonable. Push their buttons and it might be 5 days a week! I don't think anyone is purposely trying to bother you. But the world dosnt just evolve around what you or I want. Kindness and understanding go along way.
Good luck

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 1

There are 7 posts in this thread.