2014 Indian Chieftain First Ride

Posted at 8/5/2013 10:11:37 AM

Rich S

Rich S Profile Photo

  • MCUSA Administrator
  • Join Date: February 2010
  • Posts: 701
  • Location: ?, OR

2014 Indian Chieftain First Ride

We got to be among the first to take a spin on the 2014 Indian Chieftain, the first hard-faired bagger ever produced by Indian.

Read more: 2014 Indian Chieftain First Ride

Posted at 8/5/2013 10:53:01 AM

jclax01

Profile Photo jclax01

  • Motorcycle Pro
  • Join Date: January 2012
  • Bike: 1988 Gold Wing 1500
  • Posts: 592
  • Location: saint louis, MO

this bike looks hot. I am really interested in this one. looking forward to riding one in a demo ride.

Ride Hard COMFORTABLY or stay home

Posted at 8/5/2013 11:52:51 AM

kz1000st

Profile Photo kz1000st

  • Motorcycle Rider
  • Join Date: January 2012
  • Posts: 59
  • Location: Deposit, NY

I think this is the next big thing in Cruising, at least it should be. No one can say it isn't a "Cool" bike.

Posted at 8/5/2013 2:12:27 PM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

  • Motorcycle Racer
  • Join Date: June 2011
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA
  • Posts: 1736
  • Location: Bay Area, CA

I definitely like all three models (I followed the reveal on Saturday night on FB.) The fringy crap would have to come off of the Vintage though! So I would go Classic with the shield put on as an accesory if I were to go that route.

But of the three I especially like the Chieftain. This is the one that raised my eyebrow. That fairing is well done. The whole thing is well done! I may have to ride this one for sure to get a sense of what it's all about. May change my mind about a few things.

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 8/7/2013 12:18:45 PM

GAJ

Profile Photo GAJ

  • Motorcycle Pro
  • Join Date: July 2011
  • Posts: 845
  • Location: Santa Rosa, CA

$18,999?

Didn't even pay that much for my car! :tongue:

But then again these things look they might weigh as much as my car.

Current bikes: F800ST, DRZ400SM

Past bikes, starting with the first in 1970: CB50, K75S, Seca 550, Nighthawk 750, TL1000S

Posted at 8/7/2013 2:49:41 PM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

  • Motorcycle Racer
  • Join Date: June 2011
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA
  • Posts: 1736
  • Location: Bay Area, CA

And as you pointed out in another forum, Geoff, it looks like actual pricing may creep up well past that $30,000 dollar mark, which makes it no more affordable than the models of a few years ago. Very disappointing to hear this. Looks like they are going to pull a Motus in us. :curse:

Still, I am going to have to go and check one out when they become available because I really do like what I see and I want to see if I have the same feeling about them up close and in person.

The Motus was definitely going to be a great machine, but then they pulled the rug out from under us with the ridiculous price tag. Well, from me anyway! Chances are this one might do the same, but I'm gonna go check it out anyway.

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 8/8/2013 8:59:50 AM

jclax01

Profile Photo jclax01

  • Motorcycle Pro
  • Join Date: January 2012
  • Bike: 1988 Gold Wing 1500
  • Posts: 592
  • Location: saint louis, MO

GAJ said:$18,999?

Didn't even pay that much for my car! :tongue:

But then again these things look they might weigh as much as my car.


you must have not been shopping touring motorcycles lately? that's a road king with no fairing in Harley land, that's nothing in Goldwing land (they start at 20k. you can get the Goldwing F6b for 19 from a motivated dealer). full dress anything is running 23 24k. top of the line wing is 28k I think. I won't even go into Harley CVO land as they are in the mid 30's.

I actually think the indian is lower to average on price for the dress bike at current rates.

Ride Hard COMFORTABLY or stay home

Posted at 8/8/2013 9:29:25 AM

GAJ

Profile Photo GAJ

  • Motorcycle Pro
  • Join Date: July 2011
  • Posts: 845
  • Location: Santa Rosa, CA

jclax01 said:
GAJ said:$18,999?

Didn't even pay that much for my car! :tongue:

But then again these things look they might weigh as much as my car.


you must have not been shopping touring motorcycles lately? that's a road king with no fairing in Harley land, that's nothing in Goldwing land (they start at 20k. you can get the Goldwing F6b for 19 from a motivated dealer). full dress anything is running 23 24k. top of the line wing is 28k I think. I won't even go into Harley CVO land as they are in the mid 30's.

I actually think the indian is lower to average on price for the dress bike at current rates.


Good thing for me my idea of a "cruiser" is the $8,600 Triumph Bonneville T100!

Obviously nobody is going to cross shop the Indian with the Triumph but dayum, "classic" American cruiser styling is getting completely out of control price wise.

I see why so many owners are Doctors, Lawyers and Attorneys!

Current bikes: F800ST, DRZ400SM

Past bikes, starting with the first in 1970: CB50, K75S, Seca 550, Nighthawk 750, TL1000S

Posted at 8/8/2013 10:01:17 AM

sloppy

Profile Photo sloppy

  • Motorcycle Newbie
  • Join Date: February 2011
  • Posts: 1
  • Location: NA

GAJ said:
jclax01 said:
GAJ said:$18,999?

Didn't even pay that much for my car! :tongue:

But then again these things look they might weigh as much as my car.


you must have not been shopping touring motorcycles lately? that's a road king with no fairing in Harley land, that's nothing in Goldwing land (they start at 20k. you can get the Goldwing F6b for 19 from a motivated dealer). full dress anything is running 23 24k. top of the line wing is 28k I think. I won't even go into Harley CVO land as they are in the mid 30's.

I actually think the indian is lower to average on price for the dress bike at current rates.


Good thing for me my idea of a "cruiser" is the $8,600 Triumph Bonneville T100!

Obviously nobody is going to cross shop the Indian with the Triumph but dayum, "classic" American cruiser styling is getting completely out of control price wise.

I see why so many owners are Doctors, Lawyers and Attorneys!


Yeah, you need to keep in mind this is in fact a business and that the prices are certainly in line with the current cruiser market especially Harley Davidson. I am always curious why someone really believes that Polaris/Indian would sell a bike well below current cruiser value. It's like they have no business sense whatsoever. Triumphs Street Triple is soooo much more than its Japanese competitors but they seem to sell because the customers love them. Good thing I have an FZ-1 :rider:

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 1

There are 9 posts in this thread.