speedo calibration

Posted at 11/8/2013 1:15:12 PM

Transplant

Transplant Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Newbie

speedo calibration

Greetings, friends. Where can I get my bike's speedometer calibrated in the Mid-Atlantic region? The guy who used to do it in Sterling, VA phased it out to focus on cars. Much obliged for any ideas.

Posted at 11/8/2013 2:20:40 PM

Hexford

Profile Photo Hexford

• Motorcycle Rider

Most speedos don't come apart, most speedos lie somewhat on the fast side. If it's that important use a GPS or re-gear if you can. How far off is it?

Asphalt the great tattoo remover

Posted at 11/8/2013 2:41:52 PM

skyhawk04kilo

Profile Photo skyhawk04kilo

• Motorcycle Rider

I second the GPS idea. Definitely the way to go if you need it to be spot on.

Posted at 11/8/2013 6:40:31 PM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Racer
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA

Don't know what type of bike we are talking about either, but if you have a non cable driven speedometer there is also the Speedo Healer option. Here is a link:

Speedo-Healer

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 11/8/2013 9:34:04 PM

Hexford

Profile Photo Hexford

• Motorcycle Rider

RaptorFA said:Don't know what type of bike we are talking about either, but if you have a non cable driven speedometer there is also the Speedo Healer option. Here is a link:

Speedo-Healer
Thanks, if I remember correct when it first came out all it did was tell the computer it was not in 6th gear to overcome the 186 mph restriction on hyper sports. Now it looks like a real fix! hmmm does it now fix the restriction too? A buried speedo is still useless, as well as all the other gauges cept for an oil temp warning light. Trying to remember when cable drive speedo fazed out. Even the Sportster is electronic.

Asphalt the great tattoo remover

Posted at 11/9/2013 9:05:45 AM

budoka

Profile Photo budoka

• Motorcycle Pro
  • Bike: 2009 Gold Wing 1800 Airbag

Raptor yer just too quick for me; was gonna suggest that very item. May put one on my RC51, it's out about 10% (optimistic).

My Rides: 2003 VTR1000R/RC51; 2009 GL1800 Goldwing airbag model
So many bikes, so little coin...

Posted at 11/12/2013 5:53:36 AM

Drunkula

Profile Photo Drunkula

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2006 Ninja ZX-6R

I have a SpeedoHealer on my bike and it works excellent. Easy to program. My ZX636 was off by +8% stock. After I changed gearing it was off by 14%! Since I have a lap-timer on my bike I timed myself between two mile markers on the highway held as constant speed as I could. Taking that time and a little basic math I got the correction factor and plugged it into the SH. Now if I do the same thing (timed between mile markers) I get about 0.1 to 0.2% difference. Dang near spot-on with the difference being negligible.

Posted at 11/13/2013 9:05:40 AM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Racer
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA

Drunkula said:I have a SpeedoHealer on my bike and it works excellent. Easy to program. My ZX636 was off by +8% stock. After I changed gearing it was off by 14%! Since I have a lap-timer on my bike I timed myself between two mile markers on the highway held as constant speed as I could. Taking that time and a little basic math I got the correction factor and plugged it into the SH. Now if I do the same thing (timed between mile markers) I get about 0.1 to 0.2% difference. Dang near spot-on with the difference being negligible.

Thanks for the report, Drunkula. I have been considering putting one on my bike as well, especially since I have changed the gearing. They seem pretty easy to install, so it should not be a big deal.

Sorry, D, didn't mean to steal your thunder! :rofl:

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 11/14/2013 5:28:54 AM

Drunkula

Profile Photo Drunkula

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2006 Ninja ZX-6R

I don't remember the full install. Overall it was easy despite the fact that it was not plug-and-play. Seems my 636 [at the time] had to use the universal install as they didn't have OEM plugs for it. No biggie really. Only had to clip one factory wire and solder another (and heat shrink it!)inline with it. In all honesty even though I had to do some soldering it was easier to install than my Power Commander which doesn't need soldering.

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 1

There are 9 posts in this thread.