Cree brand driving lights

Posted at 12/24/2013 11:01:44 AM

Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Rider

Cree brand driving lights

Hi all,

Getting more grief from my wife about riding at night without more lighting on my bike, and she's right, I should put more light up front for conspicuity.

Looking for a fairly low-cost option, and have seen Cree brand LED spotlights an the web. Anyone ever try this brand? Looking to avoid spending a ton!

Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse
BMW R1200R
Honda 750 Nighthawk

Posted at 12/24/2013 3:56:38 PM

Hexford

Profile Photo Hexford

• Motorcycle Rider

Check your wires to see if they can handle the extra amperage. The larger fuel pump I installed fried the alternator connection. I had to hard wire to solve the problem. An infrared thermometer can pick up hot spots and poor grounds with ease.Note melted area to the right on the bottom picture. Hope this helps, BMW may not have these issues. The ZX14 was designed to be light as possible.

Asphalt the great tattoo remover

Posted at 12/25/2013 10:54:30 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

I've never thought you need extra lighting at night, it's during daytime you need all the visibility you can get. If a car driver can't see a 55/60w light they aren't looking your way, so a couple of LED lights are not going to make much difference. Still, it might be worth it to keep your wife sweet. Once they get a bee in their bonnet you're pretty much doomed.

Edited by Richard47 at 12/25/2013 11:00:16 AM

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 12/27/2013 8:34:24 AM

Gone in 60

Profile Photo Gone in 60

• Motorcycle Rider

You're right, Richard. Need to keep the wife happy. And, extra visibility during the day time would be accomplished by running a pair of LED driving lights as well.

My thought about riding at night is that in heavy commuter traffic, my single headlight, as viewed in a cage's mirror in the dark, would blend in with a car headlight. I've seen this when driving my car at night. However, with a few extra lights to the sides and below the headlight, the distinct pattern would make me less likely to appear as if I'm half of a car.

BMW R1200R
Honda 750 Nighthawk

Posted at 12/28/2013 3:50:37 AM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA

I'm sort of in the same boat. I really should get some extra lighting on the situation as I am riding to work in the dark and I'm coming home in the dark, but so far I just cannot find a solution for under 500 bucks that looks half decent and will do what I need them to do. So I'm not doin it. 500 bucks is a rip off for a couple of damned lighs.

Gone, do you have any info or part numbers for these Cree lights? I haven't seen them either but am curious myself now.

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 12/28/2013 6:21:44 AM

Easy Rider

Profile Photo Easy Rider

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom

Gone in 60 said:However, with a few extra lights to the sides and below the headlight, the distinct pattern would make me less likely to appear as if I'm half of a car.

True. First tested on train locomotives a LONG time ago.

Having the front signals function as running lights too is supposed to help with that but they aren't bright enough to really do much good.

And if that's your main concern, LED ones are the way to go as the current draw is low enough that you don't need to be concerned with charging system capacity or wire gauges, etc.

Don't believe EVERYTHING that you think.
--------------------
My bike:
'10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom

Posted at 12/31/2013 2:47:08 PM

Gone in 60

Profile Photo Gone in 60

• Motorcycle Rider

Raptor, here are the lights I've been looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-Cree-LED-Work-Light-Spot-Lamp-Driving-Fog-12V-Car-4x4-Motorcycle-ATV-Boat-/251369818321?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a86cf08d1&vxp=mtr

Might be worth getting one and seeing if it's any good. If it isn't great as a bike light, I can hook it up to something - maybe an extra backup light on my car...

BMW R1200R
Honda 750 Nighthawk

Posted at 1/2/2014 7:07:36 PM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA

Many thanks, Sir. I gave 'em a look and they don't really look all that bad. I was riding my Spyder tonight in a very dark piece of country after dark. I mean you couldn't see your hand in front of your face hardly. But the Spyder has factory installed driving living lights and the man, the minute I hit that switch it was like daylight. This has convinced me that I definitely need to do something for the bike as well.

So I have 2 or 3 mounting options on the bike that I can try these lights out on and see how they do. I was hoping for something in the 1000+ Lumens range and these fall right in there, so we'll see.

What, Me Worry?

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 1

There are 8 posts in this thread.