Royal enfield cafe racer moto guzzi v7 racer

Posted at 1/31/2014 3:45:02 PM

Jdasher

Jdasher Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Newbie

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone! You guys seem to like Hondas, how about a cb550 from 78? I found this on craigslist and it's exactly what I'm going for on looks...performance not sure.

Here's the desription:
1978 CB550 cafe racer. Complete rebuild with all receipts to prove it. The bike has been completely rewired by Vintage Honda CB in LA, brand new fuses, fuse box, AMG battery (wired w/ battery tender leads), seat pan, new mac 4 into 1 exhaust, new K&N oil filter, new oil pan gasket (sealed) , cleaned and re- jetted carbs, new air filters, new mini gauges, LED indicators....etc. This Bike has been a project of mine for the past year. I've put thousands into rebuilding it and will never get out of it what I put into it - $4500 firm. Clean and Clear title. Bike is super fun. Runs like a champ. 

What do you guys think buying something that old?

Posted at 2/1/2014 1:58:49 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

I own three elderly Japanese bikes, I like to restore and ride them. In fact I spend more time working on them than I do riding. Now here's the thing, you need to be a reasonably competent mechanic to own one as you may not be able to find anywhere that is prepared to work on them. And I must say that $4,500 seems too much to pay for a non-standard bike.

Back when they were new I had a ride on one of these and it struck me that it was a fine bike, but rather lacking in character. I much preferred the XS500 that I owned at the time (although the XS had design issues that would afflict it I never had any problems with mine). I seem to recall reading that there are issues with the rear brake hub on cb550's. They are prone to cracking and it's hard to find replacements.

Anyway, unless you are able to maintain an old bike like this it isn't likely to be a good idea. Also you have to treat old bikes with a little restraint, you can't expect to hammer them like you can new ones.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 2/1/2014 10:11:32 AM

GAJ

Profile Photo GAJ

• Motorcycle Pro

Jdasher said:Thanks for all the ideas, everyone! You guys seem to like Hondas, how about a cb550 from 78? I found this on craigslist and it's exactly what I'm going for on looks...performance not sure.

Here's the desription:
1978 CB550 cafe racer. Complete rebuild with all receipts to prove it. The bike has been completely rewired by Vintage Honda CB in LA, brand new fuses, fuse box, AMG battery (wired w/ battery tender leads), seat pan, new mac 4 into 1 exhaust, new K&N oil filter, new oil pan gasket (sealed) , cleaned and re- jetted carbs, new air filters, new mini gauges, LED indicators....etc. This Bike has been a project of mine for the past year. I've put thousands into rebuilding it and will never get out of it what I put into it - $4500 firm. Clean and Clear title. Bike is super fun. Runs like a champ. 

What do you guys think buying something that old?

Don't do it.

You can buy a 10 year old Suzuki or Kawasaki 500 that will be less money and a far better bike overall.

Current bikes: F800ST, DRZ400SM

Past bikes, starting with the first in 1970: CB50, K75S, Seca 550, Nighthawk 750, TL1000S

<<<12 >>>

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 2 of 2

There are 12 posts in this thread.