2014 Indian

Posted at 2/18/2014 6:18:31 PM

Hexford

Hexford Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Rider

There's a lot of guys and gals that are large in stature. They must fell like their on a toy for what we might consider a normal bike. At the Triumph shop, there was a very large guy about 6'3" 300 LBS. He looked fine on the Rocket III. I asked him why he needed that much power, cause it had 30 more FT LBS of torque than my turbo 14. He told the salesman he'll take it, cash. I'm thinking where's my commission? For me, the bike was enormous, for him, just right. Larger folks need larger strokes, makes sense.

Asphalt the great tattoo remover

Posted at 2/19/2014 1:11:10 PM

jclax01

Profile Photo jclax01

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2005 Road Star 1700 Midnight Silverado

Hexford said:At the Triumph shop, there was a very large guy about 6'3" 300 LBS. He looked fine on the Rocket III.

that's a light weight. lol

I am fascinated by the Indian chieftain and would consider one. the price is not out of line at all if you compare it to a similarly equipped Harley road glide (closest competitor).

But since I have been riding that Goldwing with that boxer 6 cylinder engine, the V twins of the world are a serious after thought for me.

Ride Hard COMFORTABLY or stay home

Posted at 2/19/2014 5:52:34 PM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA

I am with you, J, there is just something about these Indians that get me going. The Chieftain in particular. I really want to see how that new engine sounds and responds for real. You can see all the video clips you want but there is nothing like being there and trying one out. Should be interesting.

I guess you are right, too, pricing isn't really all that bad when you consider all that you are getting. Lots of cool stuff on this beast! Still that's a lot for me to be spending at this point. But first things first. Gotta ride one and go from there...

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 2/20/2014 8:26:02 PM

Hexford

Profile Photo Hexford

• Motorcycle Rider

jclax01 said:
Hexford said:At the Triumph shop, there was a very large guy about 6'3" 300 LBS. He looked fine on the Rocket III.

that's a light weight. lol

I am fascinated by the Indian chieftain and would consider one. the price is not out of line at all if you compare it to a similarly equipped Harley road glide (closest competitor).

But since I have been riding that Goldwing with that boxer 6 cylinder engine, the V twins of the world are a serious after thought for me.
There's only a few pounds difference between the Indian and your Gold Wing. The torque for both is also around 125 LBS torque. It was dry weight for the Goldie so it should be a little heaver. The Indians torque is at 3000 RPMs which calculates to 71 HP where your scoot is 125 HP. The Indian was true eye candy to be honest. The rear cylinder head is only a couple inches away from the front of the seat and very visible. One has to wonder if it will be the king of crotch cookers though.

Posted at 2/24/2014 8:40:18 AM

jclax01

Profile Photo jclax01

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2005 Road Star 1700 Midnight Silverado

One thing I REALLY like about the victory touring bikes is the floor boards. I have never ridden any bike with floor boards that big and comfortable. I mean I get the v-twin thing, the "feel" of a "real" motorcycle, but on a long run, reality sets in. I do not like the heat nor the vibes. I did 900 miles over a weekend last year and when I got there I felt fine. not soreness, no numbness anywhere. I have done that on a v-twin and I cannot say I felt the same when I got there.

Last year at a rally in Tunica Miss., I test rode the Harley dresser and came away saying this bike is no where near as comfortable as my Goldwing and honestly couldn't wait until that test ride was over. Right then and there I knew I was Goldwing spoiled.

Ride Hard COMFORTABLY or stay home

Posted at 2/24/2014 5:54:58 PM

Hexford

Profile Photo Hexford

• Motorcycle Rider

jclax01 said:One thing I REALLY like about the victory touring bikes is the floor boards. I have never ridden any bike with floor boards that big and comfortable. I mean I get the v-twin thing, the "feel" of a "real" motorcycle, but on a long run, reality sets in. I do not like the heat nor the vibes. I did 900 miles over a weekend last year and when I got there I felt fine. not soreness, no numbness anywhere. I have done that on a v-twin and I cannot say I felt the same when I got there.

Last year at a rally in Tunica Miss., I test rode the Harley dresser and came away saying this bike is no where near as comfortable as my Goldwing and honestly couldn't wait until that test ride was over. Right then and there I knew I was Goldwing spoiled.
I can't ride the Sportster anymore. It's just to hard on my 64 year old back and so is the Triumph. Leaning forward on the ZX-14 takes off the pressure, and for me, very comfy. You'd think it would be the other way around. The Sportster and Triumph get compliments at almost every stop. The ride is Clumpty Dumpty not modern at all, and feel very dated in handling. Once you taste silky smooth riding, with unlimited power, beautiful handling, it's hard to fire up the old girls. Even though one is new.

Posted at 2/25/2014 9:50:04 AM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA

I definitely see your points. It's weird how different people's body responds to different situations. For me I cannot be slumped over a sport bike any longer. Of course this has everything to do with the fact that my spine is fused and surgically repaired right in the S1-L4 section of my back.

As such, I have very little to no flexibiity in that area, so even a semi aggressive forward stance just isn't going to work for me. So as lean angle gets past 23-25 degrees and hip angle goes below 64 degress, I'm done. So as much as I love the Busa and the ZX14R, I just cannot go there. The closest I can come i that type would be the K1300S, which sure wouldn't be a bad choice! This also precludes me from having my feet out in front of me very far because of the pressure it puts on my tail.

Engine vibes is also going to be key. How much does the bike actually wear on you. The big V's do have me concerned in that area as well. Smooth is better, which is another thing that makes me shy away, and ultimately puts me back in the ST category.

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 2/25/2014 5:49:57 PM

Gone in 60

Profile Photo Gone in 60

• Motorcycle Rider

I swung by MotoQuest yesterday and spoke to the manager. They had a Chieftain outside on the curb with a "RENT ME" sign on it. He said that they have one of each of the three models available. The Chieftain, which rents for $225 a day was available, and the other two were out on rentals. He let me sit on the Chieftain and fire it up. As others have said, fit and finish are very nice. The engine has a "very new, yet very old" look to it, but they definitely got the look of the classic engine right. The machine is heavy, hefting it up off of the sidestand (duh). Interesting features include remote unlocking hard side bags, cruise control, power windshield, audio system, etc. Also, keyless ignition. Just a start/stop button on top of the gas tank, that's activated by a pocket key fob. The fob has to be within 50' of the bike for it to start. It idled like a cruiser should, and when I rapped on the throttle a few times, it sounded very correct!

Lone Commuter of the Apocalypse
BMW R1200R
Honda 750 Nighthawk

<<<12 >>>

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 2 of 2

There are 17 posts in this thread.