Thinking of getting a supersport bike as almost 'not' a first bike

Posted at 4/13/2014 10:38:34 AM

kn1ghtWalker

kn1ghtWalker Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Newbie

Thinking of getting a supersport bike as almost 'not' a first bike

Hi,

I am originally from India. Currently I am in California. This is the first time I have had access or had the money to buy a 600cc bike. I used to ride in India for about 4years on a 180cc bike. I had also taken the MSF basic rider course when I got my US riding licence. I am considering buying a super sport bike now. I have been researching for last couple of months. I felt more comfortable on the Suzuki GSXR-600, Honda CBR 600rr and Kawasaki zx6r in that order.

Problem is that the specs don't really give you much idea of the raw power and braking power of these bikes. I haven't had a chance to test ride these.

I found two very good articles by people here titled:
Sportbikes-are-NOT-Beginner-Bikes
SO-YOU-WANNA-GET-A-SPORTBIKE

Some of the points mentioned are really intimidating. Especially one of the scenarios where the bike bumps over a pothole and the rpms can rise pretty fast. And that the brakes are really good enough that you can lock up the wheels.

In my first 6 months of riding, I had once locked up my front wheel. But this was at very low speed. I haven't had any crashes after that during my 4years of riding. I ride relatively slow and always within speed limits. My main worry is the increase in power and speed. I will be riding at considerably faster speeds. The speed limit on my way to work is 50mph compared to the 50kmph I was riding. That is a 60% increase.

I think I can handle the Kawasaki Ninja 300. It should be comparable to my old bike. Problem is, someday I will have to make the transition to 600cc bike and I will be facing the same dilemma again.

I need some checklist to evaluate myself if I should go for the 600cc at all. Or if I do, what are the major things to be careful about in the beginning. I have been reading some articles and watching some advice on youtube. But usually a discussion on forum is a better way.

Thanks

Posted at 4/13/2014 12:14:57 PM

GAJ

Profile Photo GAJ

• Motorcycle Pro

Welcome to the forum.

Compared to your 180cc bike a Ninja 300 would be a rocket ship; no comparison.

A Ninja 300 does 0-60 in 6.4 seconds; only the fastest cars out there can achieve that. It can also achieve over 95mph and cruise all day long at 80, so certainly freeway capable.

The good news is it is much less expensive to buy, lighter, much cheaper to maintain and insure than a 600cc SuperSport.

The other good news is that if you do tire of it, which I guess is possible, you will find that you will get much more back in terms of the original price percentage than you would on pretty much any bike out there.

Get frame sliders for it and you're good to go.

Current bikes: F800ST, DRZ400SM

Past bikes, starting with the first in 1970: CB50, K75S, Seca 550, Nighthawk 750, TL1000S

Posted at 4/13/2014 1:01:40 PM

kn1ghtWalker

Profile Photo kn1ghtWalker

• Motorcycle Newbie

Thanks for the welcome and reply.

Ninja 300 is about twice as powerful as my old bike in terms of power. (34hp vs 18hp). I am definitely getting frame sliders which ever option I go with.

It is cheaper. A lot less cheaper to insurance (~$475vs$1100) for me as per the insurance quite I got from my insurance agent. Although I am not sure if thats the best insurance quote I can get for 600cc. The same agent gave me a quote of ~$700 for Triumph Daytona 675 which according to some review sites should fall in same insurance group as the gsxr600, cbr600, zx6r.

Assuming, I get the 300 first, how do I know if I am ready to move into a 600cc? Even between Ninja 300 and CBR600rr there is about 3x power difference (34hp vs 105hp). About twice as much torque too I guess. I am mainly reluctant from the posts that the throttle is highly sensitive and the brakes are powerful. How do you get used to it? Practising braking in parking lots was one advice I read somewhere. But, it doesnt fully prepare you to a real life scenario.

Thanks

Edited by kn1ghtWalker at 4/13/2014 1:01:48 PM

Posted at 4/13/2014 3:36:35 PM

Hexford

Profile Photo Hexford

• Motorcycle Rider

Sounds like ABS will be a good option for you. You can get into a situation, where your going to apply the front brake hard. ABS will prevent a lock up, the 300 Ninja offers that. Keep your driving record clean as a whistle, without any claims. Then shop around for insurance in the 600cc sport bike.

Asphalt the great tattoo remover

Posted at 4/13/2014 9:19:17 PM

kn1ghtWalker

• Motorcycle Newbie

Yes. I am more leaning towards ABS option. If I am buying Ninja 300, I will definitely get the one with ABS. There is also Honda CBR650F which has ABS. But that model isn't in the showrooms yet. Also I haven't read any reviews about that yet. Among the 600s, CBR600rr has that option and zx6r has both ABS and traction control.

Hmmm, reminds me of that other post about bumping over a pothole. Will traction control prevent that sudden bump in rev?

Posted at 4/14/2014 6:06:48 AM

Easy Rider

Profile Photo Easy Rider

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom

Welcome to the forum.

You don't need a "check list".
Just don't DO it. Pretty simple, really.

You need at least a year or 1000 miles of experience before you even consider a true sport (racing) bike.

Don't believe EVERYTHING that you think.
--------------------
My bike:
'10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom

Posted at 4/14/2014 9:34:25 AM

kn1ghtWalker

• Motorcycle Newbie

I have about 4years and 7000 miles of riding experience on a much slower bike in a lot more city traffic.

Posted at 4/14/2014 10:58:13 AM

GAJ

Profile Photo GAJ

• Motorcycle Pro

kn1ghtWalker said:I have about 4years and 7000 miles of riding experience on a much slower bike in a lot more city traffic.

Anil, I have 30+ years of experience and as you can see I've owned a decent number of bikes.

As you can see I owned a 1000cc SS, (for 13 years), and while I enjoyed owning it I sold it.

You know why?

Because I had more FUN riding my 35hp DRZ400SM and the 130hp SS just sat forlornly in the garage ignored.

The Ninja 300 has similar performance to my DRZ and my DRZ has no problem whatsoever blasting the twisties in a very spirited manner; I'm sure I'd love owning a Ninja 300 almost as much.

Anecdotally, in terms of speed, I watched the Moto GP races over the weekend from Austin Texas where they also showed the Moto 3 and Moto 2 races.

The Moto 3 bikes are 250cc single cylinder bikes, (ie. less powerful stock than a twin cylinder Ninja 300), and the Moto 2 bikes are 600cc four cylinder bikes using Honda 600RR engines.

The Moto 3 bikes in race trim make about 48hp, the Moto 2 bikes make about 125hp as they are tuned as much for reliability as racing.

Lap times you might ask?

Fastest lap in the Moto 2 class was about 2minutes 10 seconds.

Fastest lap in the Moto 3 class was only SIX seconds slower.

You CAN have a LOT of fun on a "slow" bike and in my opinion you will learn more faster on a 300 than you ever could on a 600. :coolthumb:

Past bikes, starting with the first in 1970: CB50, K75S, Seca 550, Nighthawk 750, TL1000S

Posted at 4/14/2014 2:00:19 PM

thesoapster

Profile Photo thesoapster

• MCUSA Moderator
  • Bike: 2009 YZF-R1

Another vote for the Ninja 300. I saw one in action for the first time recently (actually rode with the guy at a decent pace). Those bikes move quite well. I'd go for a 300 first (or even the Ninja 250 if you can find a used one). If/when you want to sell they are easy to get rid of and tend to hold their value.

Posted at 4/14/2014 2:41:12 PM

GAJ

Profile Photo GAJ

• Motorcycle Pro

thesoapster said:Another vote for the Ninja 300. I saw one in action for the first time recently (actually rode with the guy at a decent pace). Those bikes move quite well. I'd go for a 300 first (or even the Ninja 250 if you can find a used one). If/when you want to sell they are easy to get rid of and tend to hold their value.

Here's Motorcyclist Magazine's conclusion when they put it head to head with the more expensive and more powerful Honda 500:

If we don’t sound over the moon about the CBR500R, it’s mostly because of our expectations. We assumed it would be a step between the willing CBR250R and a true supersport like the CBR600RR. It’s not. Instead, it’s something entirely different, a sensible small motorcycle with good build quality, solid performance, and commendable efficiency. It’s the bike you’d recommend to a new rider, an acquaintance. But for your friends with true sporting intentions and a thirst for authentic mechanical presence—point them at a Ninja 300.

hyperlink

<<< 1 2>> >

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 2

There are 14 posts in this thread.