Needing some advice on my first bike.

Posted at 6/18/2014 8:36:14 AM

ZeroKash

ZeroKash Profile Photo

Which bike do you think is best for me?

I'm interested in getting my first bike. Here's a little bit of history. I have never owned or ridden a bike. I have sat on them, shifted through the gears, know the process of how to shift them. I have sat on a 2007 Suzuki boulevard C50 and did not think it was to heavy to hold. I am 19 years old and have an enthusiasm to get out and ride.
I have it narrowed down to 4 different possibilities and would like some input on each one, and which one you believe would be best for me. I don't want a 250cc to start out with is because I will be on the interstate going 70+ mph almost all the time riding (since I have to take highway to work), and I also don't wanna trade it in and get a bigger bike in a few months. I want something that will last me for 5-10 years before I have any major problems with it.

Here are the bikes, their mileage, and asking price.

1- 2001 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster. 21,500 miles $3,950

2- 2001 Honda Shadow 750. 18,650 miles $2,300

3- 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 17,700 miles $2,500

4- 2002 Yamaha V-star 650, 4,500 miles $2,500

Thanks you for you time,
ZeroKash

Results (2 Votes)

Harley sportster 883 (0% 0 Votes)
Honda Shadow 750 (100% 2 Votes)
Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (0% 0 Votes)
Yamaha V-star 650 (0% 0 Votes)

Posted at 6/18/2014 6:20:47 PM

skyhawk04kilo

Profile Photo skyhawk04kilo

• Motorcycle Rider

Any 13 year old bike is going to have problems pretty much immediately. The severity of the problems will be dependent on how well the bike has been taken care of to this point. The only bikes I know of that run for 5 years without problems are new bikes. Of the choices you posted, I'd go with the Shadow and pocket the extra cash for inevitable repairs.

Don't skimp on gear. You're better off spending $1000 on gear and getting a crappier bike than spending all your money on a nicer bike and riding in a t-shirt. Buy a nice helmet, jacket, back protector, gloves, and boots.

Posted at 6/19/2014 7:00:01 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

I've never understood why newbies think they are going to keep their first bike for a long time, because it seldom works out that way. You are probably going to get pissed off with it, or it will break (all your choices are elderly machines and, anyway, bikes are seldom as reliable as cars) or you will chuck it down the road and destroy it.

I've been riding for about 50 years and I reckon I have averaged a little short of one different bike per year over that time. More than most perhaps, but not exceptional. Even if you are nowhere near that I would put good money on you not keeping your first bike 5-10 years.

So do yourself a favor. Buy a smallish bike to learn on, enjoy it, keep off the interstate for a while and get a long term bike when you are competent. If you haven't destroyed it you will sell your first bike without difficulty. And get some training.

I've just noticed your forum name. If it is at all accurate I can tell you that bikes are not very cheap to run, sometimes considerably more than a small, economical car, unless you get something like a 125. They get through tires several times faster than a car, they don't get very good gas mileage and they don't go anywhere near as far as a car before they need a service.

Edited by Richard47 at 6/19/2014 7:01:16 AM

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 6/23/2014 12:53:34 PM

budoka

Profile Photo budoka

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2009 Gold Wing 1800 Airbag

I have to agree with all that's been said so far. The only bike I would totally avoid is the Sportie, too many weak spots and at going on 14 years old, meh. I'd take the Shadow with the Vulcan a close second. Take the MSF course before you buy anything! You may find that riding isn't your thing and the few buck you drop on the course is far better spent there than on a bike you may end up not so fond of in a year or two. At the least you walk out with a m/c endorsement in your hand. There is a steep learning curve out on the street and freeways are an even less forgiving venue, especially for a newbie.

My Rides: 2003 VTR1000R/RC51; 2009 GL1800 Goldwing airbag model
So many bikes, so little coin...

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 1

There are 4 posts in this thread.