Indian Scout is here!

Posted at 8/5/2014 8:42:17 PM

Hexford

Hexford Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Rider

jclax01 said:I rode one at the demo day and I really wasnt cramped anymore than usual on the chieftain. Im 6'4" tall, but maybe I am just used to being cramped on everything. Now here is the odd thing. I was cramped on the vintage. I have no idea why since its the same bike as the chieftain. this is one of the mysteries of the known universe. :lol:

Ummm, how did it perform? Is it quick as the specs say? Sounds like it was just around the block kind of ride.

Asphalt the great tattoo remover

Posted at 8/6/2014 6:45:25 AM

jclax01

Profile Photo jclax01

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2005 Road Star 1700 Midnight Silverado

Hexford said:Ummm, how did it perform? Is it quick as the specs say? Sounds like it was just around the block kind of ride.

It was a lot more than around the block. I would guess maybe 10 miles or so and they covered everything, urban, rural road and highway. I enjoyed how the bike performed, lots of power, smooth ride and a stereo that you can actually hear while riding with bass even. this was on the chieftain.

Ride Hard COMFORTABLY or stay home

Posted at 8/6/2014 1:37:17 PM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

I've just been looking at pics of the scout on a web-site here (classic bike news) and it does look nice, I'll admit.

But if I wanted a 1200cc, 100bhp bike I think I would buy an early 1200 Bandit for about £2K, spend a grand or two on tarting it up and have an awful lot of money to spend on something else. And I would have a bike that was probably just as good.

It's a good job for the manufacturers that most folks don't think like me!

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 8/7/2014 7:42:13 AM

jclax01

Profile Photo jclax01

• Motorcycle Rider

Richard47 said:I've just been looking at pics of the scout on a web-site here (classic bike news) and it does look nice, I'll admit.

But if I wanted a 1200cc, 100bhp bike I think I would buy an early 1200 Bandit for about £2K, spend a grand or two on tarting it up and have an awful lot of money to spend on something else. And I would have a bike that was probably just as good.

It's a good job for the manufacturers that most folks don't think like me!

apples and oranges. the Indian is a classic styled cruiser and the bandit is a naked. the only thing that they share is that they are motorcycles.

Posted at 8/7/2014 9:55:50 AM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA

Apples and Oranges, true. But it depends on the kind of experience the user is looking for. If you really want that classic cruiser expereince and have the features and comfort, then the Indian will be what you are looking for. But if you want a bike that will deliver better power, better over-all performance, will handle better, will accelerate better and still be very comfortable, the Bandit is going to be the bike. Ask me how I know...

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 8/7/2014 11:42:47 AM

jclax01

Profile Photo jclax01

• Motorcycle Rider

But the bandit aint pretty like the indian (to some). riding a cruiser is a LOT about looks. the way people are dressing up their cruisers these days, I will venture to say its more about looks than even riding. so many mod's affect the bike in a negative way, but the owner does not care as long as it looks good. foreign to me honestly.

Posted at 8/7/2014 1:10:04 PM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro

Posolutely true. That's why I have both! Well, kinda both... The Viz is kind of a Behemoth Battleship Tourin beast. But close enough!

And my Bandit FA may not be the prettiest thing... but she has a great personality!! :lol:

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 8/8/2014 1:40:34 PM

kz1000st

Profile Photo kz1000st

• Motorcycle Rider

There has to be a mind shift here. The Chief is competing with the Big bikes from the other makers. The Scout is supposed to be, from what I've read, competition for the 1200 Sportster. A Sportster of any size is not a pretty bike. It is supposed to be a statement on your manhood (Personhood?) and the new Scout is more about that. 9,000 rpm? I'm thinking a Sportster would explode up there.

Posted at 8/11/2014 10:44:16 AM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro

Well, to be honest I don't see much of a competition there! The Sporty isn't a bad platform at all and they do offer a few factory verions of it, but the Scout is far and away a better bike, at least from what I could see of it. We are a ways off from actually seeing a real one if you weren't in Sturgis for the unveiling though. There might be some demos out there, but they are few and far between. Latest word I got is that you can reserve one now ($1,000.00 deposit) but production models won't be showing up in dealerships until December. That is a pertty long wait, but worth it I guess. SO, Indian Scout is here? not really, not yet!

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 8/12/2014 7:32:16 AM

jclax01

Profile Photo jclax01

• Motorcycle Rider

is the scout competing with the sporty or is it competing the mid sized metrics? I see the obvious points to say its going against the 1200 sportie, but I also see it going after the metrics.

Posted at 8/15/2014 3:09:38 PM

budoka

Profile Photo budoka

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2009 Gold Wing 1800 Airbag

More of a competitor to HD I'd say. Buyers of American v-twin bikes are typically not interested in Japanese anythings (OK maybe Japanese women:rofl:). Honda does not target anything Harley in their lineup, the VT series bikes are considered (by Honda) as alternative models (for a separate buyer market) not competetive ones. I imagine the other 3 have similar attitudes about their cruisers.

My Rides: 2003 VTR1000R/RC51; 2009 GL1800 Goldwing airbag model
So many bikes, so little coin...

<<<12 >>>

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 2 of 2

There are 20 posts in this thread.