Indian Scout is here!

Posted at 8/15/2014 3:09:38 PM

budoka

budoka Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2009 Gold Wing 1800 Airbag

More of a competitor to HD I'd say. Buyers of American v-twin bikes are typically not interested in Japanese anythings (OK maybe Japanese women:rofl:). Honda does not target anything Harley in their lineup, the VT series bikes are considered (by Honda) as alternative models (for a separate buyer market) not competetive ones. I imagine the other 3 have similar attitudes about their cruisers.

My Rides: 2003 VTR1000R/RC51; 2009 GL1800 Goldwing airbag model
So many bikes, so little coin...

Posted at 11/5/2014 10:14:04 AM

HockeyCoach

Profile Photo HockeyCoach

Indian Scount Demo Ride

I rode the Scout at an Indian demo ride last Friday.

Some observations:

I am 5'11" and the seating position was comfortable, with legs stretched out on the pegs. Also, the seat was more comfortable and supportive than I expected.

The bike is fairly light (558 lbs. w/ a full tank of gas) and it feels light. I didn't get a chance to ride the bike hard at the demo event but it seemed to have plenty of power. Overall, the ride seemed similar to the H-D Night Rod Special, actually.

Instrumentation is bare bones and I much prefer the H-D turn signal buttons (but maybe I'm just used to it, though).

Lastly, this bike really isn't so cheap. You can configure it at the Indian Motorcycle website. It gets expensive quickly. Let me show you what I mean:

Base price: $11,299
Passenger pillion: $199.99
Passenger backrest: $499.98
Saddlebags: $999.99
Windshield: $449.99
Passenger pegs: $149.99

I'll stop there. Total so far: $13,599. A similarly equipped Sportster 1200 w/ a stage 1 kit would be pretty close in price.

It's nice to have more choice in the big bagger/touring v-twin market but I really wasn't particularly impressed with the Classic, Vintage, Chieftain or the Roadmaster. I don't see any incentive to move away from H-D at this point in time.

Posted at 11/5/2014 1:58:40 PM

jclax01

Profile Photo jclax01

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2005 Road Star 1700 Midnight Silverado

with the add-on's you have listed hockey coach, you have transformed the Indian scout into a day touring machine. if you add the same stuff on the sporty, you are above that price still. Me personally, I really do not like the look of the scout nor the roadmaster. I cant stand the side covers near the seat on the scout and I won't even begin to talk about the lowers on the roadmaster. If I ever go indian, it would definitely be the chieftain.

Ride Hard COMFORTABLY or stay home

Posted at 11/6/2014 8:57:02 AM

HockeyCoach

H-D Sporty Comparison

jclax01 said:with the add-on's you have listed hockey coach, you have transformed the Indian scout into a day touring machine. if you add the same stuff on the sporty, you are above that price still. Me personally, I really do not like the look of the scout nor the roadmaster. I cant stand the side covers near the seat on the scout and I won't even begin to talk about the lowers on the roadmaster. If I ever go indian, it would definitely be the chieftain.

2015 Sportster 1200 Custom configuration (from the H-D website):

Base MSRP: $10,649
Rigid Leather Locking Saddlebags: $729.95
Turn Signal Relocation Kit: $99.95
Quick-Release Compact Windshield - 18" Clear, Polished Braces: $369.95
Low Back Rest Pad - Smooth Bucket: $99.95
Docking Hardward for H-D Detachables Racks and Sideplates: $44.95
H-D Detachables Sideplates - Chrome": $144.95
Standard Mini Medallion Style Sissy Bard Upright - Chrome: $99.95
Screamin' Eagle Street Cannon Slip-On Mufflers - Sportster Shorty Dual - Chrome: $419.95
Screamin' Eagle End Caps Slash Cut Chrome: $119.95
Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather Performance Air Cleaner Kit - Chrome: $329.95

Total: $13,108.50.

(That doesn't include deal installation costs. After adding the K&N filter to the Sporty, an "ECM calibration" is required.)

Posted at 11/6/2014 9:16:11 AM

HockeyCoach

What's the Difference?

jclax01Me personally, I really do not like the look of the scout nor the roadmaster. I cant stand the side covers near the seat on the scout and I won't even begin to talk about the lowers on the roadmaster. If I ever go indian, it would definitely be the chieftain. [/quote said:

My questions (leaving aside styling tastes)...

What makes the Vintage better than the Road King?
What makes the Chieftain better than the Street Glide?
What makes the Roadmaster better than an Electra Glide Ultra Classic?

If we're being honest, the answer is... virtually nothing.

Posted at 11/7/2014 7:34:57 AM

jclax01

Profile Photo jclax01

• Motorcycle Rider

???? well that was out of left field. I said nothing about Harley, but I am not one to bashful about such things.

engine reliability is the main reason I would not go with Harley. In all fairness, the indian line has not been out long enough to get a good sampling of how their engines performs over time, but Harley does have a LONG list of engine issues and troubles.

You left out some pretty substantial numbers in the comparison. the installation cost on stuff that an owner cannot do himself could be pretty substantial. the ECM adjustment.... oh you mean power commander or remap the exhaust and air intakes in the bikes computer. all told, you will clearly go over that 13,600 you got for upgrading the sporty. After all of that money being spent on the Harley, you still are going to be short on horsepower and torque compared to the indian.

the fact that you dumped Harley into this conversation has me wondering your true intents here. hmmmmmmmmm

Posted at 11/7/2014 2:13:40 PM

HockeyCoach

jclax01 said:???? well that was out of left field. I said nothing about Harley, but I am not one to bashful about such things.

engine reliability is the main reason I would not go with Harley. In all fairness, the indian line has not been out long enough to get a good sampling of how their engines performs over time, but Harley does have a LONG list of engine issues and troubles.

You left out some pretty substantial numbers in the comparison. the installation cost on stuff that an owner cannot do himself could be pretty substantial. the ECM adjustment.... oh you mean power commander or remap the exhaust and air intakes in the bikes computer. all told, you will clearly go over that 13,600 you got for upgrading the sporty. After all of that money being spent on the Harley, you still are going to be short on horsepower and torque compared to the indian.

the fact that you dumped Harley into this conversation has me wondering your true intents here. hmmmmmmmmm

Isn't Polaris' intent with Indian to compete primarily with Harley?

Indian Motorcyle press release from June 24th, 2013: “Our team has put their hearts and souls into the design and development of the 2014 Indian Chief. Sturgis is the perfect place to unveil the next generation of Indian motorcycles and share the message that choice in American motorcycling is finally here in the form of the stunning new Indian Chief." (Emphasis added.)

Who, other than Harley, would Polaris be refering to with "choice in American motorcycling?"

Note too that there have already been in-depth comparisons between the Scout and Sporty (Motorcycle USA; September 25th) and the Chieftain and the Street Glide (Motocycle USA; October 27th).

The point I was making about Indian is this. Has Polaris offered anything other than "choice?" And, specifically related to the Scout, is it enough of a game-changer for buyers that were likely considering a Sporty as well?

At the Indian Demo event, all of the people I talked to already owned a Harley or were considering an Indian or a Harley as a first bike.

I'm really not sure why you're wondering about intents. Do you really think a sport bike guys are going to be interested in Indians?

Posted at 11/7/2014 3:59:35 PM

kz1000st

Profile Photo kz1000st

• Motorcycle Rider

You have to know that Polaris finally had to do something to let people know that Harley wasn't the only game in Town. They tried and succeeded with Victory to build a better motorcycle than Harley has ever done and somehow the word didn't get around. Why even consider a tiny, underpowered 1200 Sportster when a Victory Gunner with bags more horsepower out of 106 cubes and documented superior reliability is around at virtually the same price? Because the people who buy these things fall for "America's Oldest Motorcycle Company" or "Built by Independents" and all the other junk. Victory is tons better than Harley in every measure except the dumb slogans game. So Polaris had to stoop to hype like Harley does. "Choice", "If I have to explain it to you, you just don't understand" How childish.

Posted at 11/8/2014 5:41:21 AM

jclax01

Profile Photo jclax01

• Motorcycle Rider

I asked the question about intent because you brought in some different models other than the scout into the discussion. Your price sheet comparison was clearly biased because you mentioned some big money items at the bottom of the list that would CLEARLY put the sporty cost above that of the indian.

I actually do not like the scout at all honestly. its a butt ugly bike. the other models have a great ride and good power.

Posted at 11/10/2014 1:38:55 AM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA

I have not ridden the Scout yet, but I did get to see one at the IMS last week. My first impression of it in pictures was "meh". Now that I have seen one I actually like the look. I thought the build was very nice. I didn't get to sit on it because it was up on a display. One day I will get to ride one. I do not see myself buying one though; it's just not me. But it's a nice bike. There is just nothing in the Harley line that grabs me. They are nice bikes, but there is just no innovation happening over there. It's basically just the same old thing. And that works for many guys. Not for me. The Victory Freedom 106 is a far superior engine. So is the Thunderstroke 111. My Vision is so far beyond anything that HD has in their line-up. Just my opinion, of course, but that is why I ride a Vision and not a Harley.

I had the pleasure of going on a ride on Saturday with a group of mostly Indian riders. It was a nice mix of Chieftains, Vintages, a couple of classic Indians, a Road Master, 2 Cross Tours, and my Vision. 30 of us in all. It was kinda funny because the Viz was the biggest bike there! But it didn't matter, she fit right in. And you know what? I have to say that these Indians are really fine machines. It was quite a site, lemme tell you! There is no doubt that Polaris are building the Indian product in the right way, and the Scout will be no exception. My dealer already has quite a few orders in. So I reckon it's gonna do pretty well. I think it will be a healthy thing to have Indian back in the game. The competition will mean that us riders will get better bikes!

What, Me Worry?

<<<12 3 >>>

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 3 of 3

There are 29 posts in this thread.