MotoGP 2nd Half - Here We Go! Cal is Leaving Ducati...

Posted at 8/5/2014 8:18:16 AM

RaptorFA

RaptorFA Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Pro
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA

MotoGP 2nd Half - Here We Go! Cal is Leaving Ducati...

Prior to the start of the second half of the MotoGP season at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Cal Crutchlow and Ducati Corse have decided to part ways in 2015, with Cal moving over to LCR Honda and Andrea Iannone taking the vacant seat at Ducati.

This does not surprise me one bit. I predicted early on that Cal would not last one season on that thing. It's good that he got off it now before it completely sank his career or killed him. The Desmo, once a very competitive package lost its edge when they went with the Carbon fiber frame on the GP9. They lost the handle on the balance of the bike, the tires changed in 2010 making things even worse because they lost even more grip and they no longer could fall back on having monster power. Even the great Stoner could not ride it any longer. Rossi couldn't manage it either when the series went to the 1000s. In fact things got even worse. So what chance did Cal have? Having said all that, seeing what Dovi and Iannone are doing with that machine is pretty remarkable. Iannone has definitely earned that factory seat, and the two italians could be rewarded big time when the new GP15 debuts next year. Look for the GP15 to be an all-new clean sheet design, starting with a new generation desmo engine. Long overdue, as in my mind this has been the problem with this package for years now. Gigi knows how to build bikes, and with Audi money behind him, I can't wait to see what rolls out of the garage.

Menwhile, Cal needs to just survive the rest of this year and get back to a more familiar platform for him. The LCR will be a factory backed machine with additional sponsorship from CWM, so he should thrive there.

But hey, more on that later. We are set to go racing again! And it's on an all-new resurfaced and reconfigured Indy road course that promises to give a mutch better show than the old track did. I'm ready! :rock:

Edited by RaptorFA at 8/5/2014 1:48:31 PM

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 8/5/2014 8:53:32 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

It's strange that Dovi and Cal were fairly evenly matched when they were at Tech3, but are a world apart on the Ducati. It would be nice if the new Duc could seriously challenge for the title, although to be honest the only way they are likely to beat Marquez is if they make him ride a Moto3 bike.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 8/5/2014 1:47:30 PM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro

I know. Dovi has stumbled onto something that this current bike somehow likes and responds to. Not for long, of course, but it does respond! :rofl: I firmly believe that he has been mentoring Crazy Joe to a certain extent also, and he has obviously been paying attention and learning. Cal on the other hand has fought with this bike from day one and never learned to adapt to it. And I am not sure, but for some reason I get the feeling that there is no love lost between Dovi and Cal. So I think that in the long run this move will be the best thing for all parties involved.

There has been talk that the current GP14 is due to receive a number of new parts and other updates for the second half assault of the season. It was a great decision to go Open class, it has kept them somewhat in the game. I don't know if Indy is their track though. But from there forward things could get more interesting.

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 8/11/2014 1:48:02 PM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

I just watched the race at Indianapolis and it was a pretty good one. I was impressed by the way the circuit has improved. It was not really up to scratch before so it's good to see that the horrible slippery, bumpy surface has been replaced. It's not good to see riders going down because of a poor surface. A proper job.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 8/11/2014 4:19:31 PM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro

I agree, Richard. Over-all I thought the track provided good grip and gave a very good show. They knocked something like 5 seconds plus off the track record! Marquez showed once again what a surgeon he is. He never gets flustered, and I have noticed that he doesn't take the stupid chances that he did when he was in Moto2. He just waits for his moment and then makes his move, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. He knows he has the best bike on the grid and he knows just how to use it. The consistency that he shows lap after lap in every race is truly remarkable.

Having said that, I think the Yamaha's gained a bit of ground this round, and could prove to be even more of a challenger in Brno. Scott Redding had a very good day yesterday, which I was very happy about. I like this kid and I think he has a bright future ahead of him. And Leon Camier was having a great weekend until electrical issues ended his race. Look for him to improve even more in Brno. Well, that is if the bike holds up. That Customer Honda has turned out to be just crap, which makes what Redding did even more noteable.

The Lucky boy of the weekend? Has to be Alvaro Bautista. That was a HUGE high-side he suffered in FP3. They could not get the rear of that bike to hook up all weekend and man did he pay the price. I am still not sure how he waslked away from that one. But I'm glad he did.

What, Me Worry?

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 1

There are 5 posts in this thread.