British Grand Prix Moving to "Nowhere" from 2015...

Posted at 8/14/2014 8:15:21 AM

RaptorFA

RaptorFA Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Pro
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA

British Grand Prix Moving to "Nowhere" from 2015...

It's reported that Siverstone is going to lose the British GP to the so-called Circuit of Wales from 2015 on. Someone please help me here...

Circuit of Wales? WHAT Circuit of Wales?! The place doesn't even exist! :closedeyes: There is no money to even build the track, let alone all the other things that are supposed to surround the facility. In theory it sounds wonderful, but money talks my friends, and there just isn't any to be had! And they cannot use public funds, so where does that leave them? Here is the proposed track layout:

Not bad I suppose. 3.5 miles and it is said to have nice elevation changes. But I don't like the layout better than Silverstone, that is for sure. But not having ever been to that circuit, I don't kow what the facilities are like or the logistics getting in and out etc. Perhaps this new place might be better in that way IF they do it right. But there is still the matter of the funding, the very thing Ezpeleta and everyone else just wants to gloss over! It's pretty simple really... no money, no track!

If they ever do get this place built it won't be 'til at LEAST 2017 or 2018, if that. So the race will have to be held somewhere else anyway! And if Silverstone couldn't come up with the extortionary feas that DORNA has come up with just for the honor of having the race there, how is this ficticious Circuit of Wales going to pony up, or anyone else for that matter? I think Uncle Carmelo is losing it! He's listening to the nonsense that the greedy dingbat criminal Eccelstone is whispering into his ear...

This is a real shame because it seems to me that the British fans have always shown great support for MotoGP and bike racing in general and they deserve better than this. I guess we'll have to see how things develop.

Circuit of Wales... HA!

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 8/14/2014 9:57:29 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

I see a few problems here. Wales is not a very central location, it's not handy for any large centre of population, whereas Silverstone is placed between London and Birmingham and is easily accessed from a lot of other locations. So you will not get as many spectators.

And Wales, being in the west, is much wetter then Northamptonshire. A lot wetter. In fact I have only spent one week in Wales (which I like very much) out of many where I haven't been rained upon heavily at some time.

You can't blame Silverstone though. They don't want to be out of pocket. If it's a threat from Dorna it's not a very good one. Time for racing to be run by another organisation, I think. It's always a bad thing when a product is being used just to make money instead of out of interest and passion for the product.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 8/14/2014 12:30:49 PM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro

Richard47 said:I see a few problems here. Wales is not a very central location, it's not handy for any large centre of population, whereas Silverstone is placed between London and Birmingham and is easily accessed from a lot of other locations. So you will not get as many spectators.

And Wales, being in the west, is much wetter then Northamptonshire. A lot wetter. In fact I have only spent one week in Wales (which I like very much) out of many where I haven't been rained upon heavily at some time.

This doesn't sound good at all. I understand the desire to revive the region and all, but this project doesn't appear to be the best way to do it. In fact, the whole thing just sounds like a huge cluster &^$*. I would love to be wrong and I wish them the best, but I am very skeptical at this point and have concerns that the fans there won't take to the new venue.

Richard47 said:
You can't blame Silverstone though. They don't want to be out of pocket. If it's a threat from Dorna it's not a very good one. Time for racing to be run by another organisation, I think. It's always a bad thing when a product is being used just to make money instead of out of interest and passion for the product.

I completely agree. Technically Silverstone is already out of pocket because of the extensive moneys spent in improvements to the circuit and facilities, apparently done in order to better facilitate the MotoGP round that would be held there. Now why would they do that if they knew they were gong to be ousted by some non-existent facility? Something doesn't smell right here and I think Ezpeleta is producing a good amount of the offending odor! He needs to go. In fact, maybe DORNA needs to go. They certainly don't seem to have the best interests of the sport in their mind. It seems to be all about profit now; how much they can extort from the teams, the fans, the tracks... Did you see the empty seats at the Mugello round? That was mainly because ticket prices were ridiculously high and even the rabid fan base there could not afford to go. If this keeps going the sport could become irrelevant or even die, and that would be tragic indeed.

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 8/14/2014 2:31:12 PM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

I think the main reason that Silverstone was developed is because of the Formula One interests. Quite a number of the manufacturers are within easy reach of the circuit. Even if the outfit is predominately owned by a foreign company they have manufacturing facilities nearby. Red Bull, for example, are an Austrian company but their car plant is in nearby Milton Keynes. Force India are actually based at the circuit. So a lot of the engineers are British, or are based here. I doubt that even that prat Ecclestone would upset that relationship, although he has made threatening noises in the past.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 8/14/2014 4:25:27 PM

MotoUSA

Profile Photo MotoUSA

• MCUSA Administrator

I'm wondering if they are banking on the success of something like CotA, adding tracks that haven't broken ground or finished to the schedule. Didn't they learn from the Balatonring round that was on the schedule two years in a row and never finished?

Posted at 8/14/2014 6:12:10 PM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro

They have to be. And that is a bad horse to be backing. CotA was an exceptional case because the people involved were highly motivated and there was actual money there backing the project. I see no evidence of either here. They don't even have the land secured yet! I just see this thing as a massive boondoggle. So where will the British round be held in 2015? It almost seems like the Silverstone bridge will be burned unless Uncle Carmelo decides to get off his greedy high horse and negotiates in good faith with Mr. Phillips to keep the event at Silverstone. I do not see Donnington as a reasonable alternative site.

Stay tuned, folks. This one is gonna get interesting I'm sure.

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 8/15/2014 12:02:55 PM

waynesjw

Profile Photo waynesjw

sad news to British fans

hope they find a way to solve this. :saywut:

Posted at 8/17/2014 9:24:32 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

I've just looked at the article on the BBC web-site. It says that the circuit will cost £315M but doesn't say that the money is in place. It does say that the developers are wanting the regional and UK governments to chip in £50M, which I can't see happening.

The circuit will (?) be at Ebbw Vale. This is, as you say, nowhere. It's reasonably accessible from Cardiff, and Bristol is not too far away but it will be a much longer trek from London and Birmingham which have a far greater population. And it will be raining. And how will the circuit meet Dorna's fees if Silverstone is unable to do so?

At present there is no venue decided for the 2015 round and as Silverstone is the only circuit in the land that has a 21st century track and facilities things don't look good.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 8/18/2014 8:32:41 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

And I meant to add that until last year it was possible to see MotoGP on free to air BBC TV. But Dorna, in its greed, ditched the Beeb and allowed a pay channel (BT Sport)to screen the racing because they were able to bid more. So viewing figures will be nowhere near what they were (although we get to see highlights on a commercial channel). Another example of Dorna putting greed before the best interest of the sport. I don't think the sport is in very good hands.

Edited by Richard47 at 8/18/2014 8:33:14 AM

Old git on an old bike.

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 1

There are 9 posts in this thread.