Dash lights won't turn on/Won't start, head/taillights work fine

Posted at 8/16/2014 4:49:59 PM

JH94ARNG

JH94ARNG Profile Photo

Dash lights won't turn on/Won't start, head/taillights work fine

Rainy day, left my bike out. Come back to the bike won't try to turn over, dash won't light up, but I can get the brights/neutral lights to light up and turning signal indicators work fine. The actual turning signals work, brake/headlights work fine.

Starter/dash won't work. What fuse has blown, you guys think?

Bike is a 2002 FZS1000.

Posted at 8/17/2014 4:19:18 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

Testing the fuses is easy enough if you have a cheap test meter. It's also possible you have a problem with the ignition switch.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 8/17/2014 10:42:23 AM

GAJ

Profile Photo GAJ

• Motorcycle Pro

Kill switch off?

Current bikes: F800ST, DRZ400SM

Past bikes, starting with the first in 1970: CB50, K75S, Seca 550, Nighthawk 750, TL1000S

Posted at 8/17/2014 5:37:37 PM

JH94ARNG

Profile Photo JH94ARNG

So from start to finish:

Put key in ignition, turn all the way (My ignition switch isn't the issue)
When put into ON, brights light comes on, turning signals work, and neutral indicator works. Dash no longer lights up.
Flip kill switch off ( to start bike ), pressing the ignition doesn't work.
Not a battery issue, for sure on that. Have a charger/maintainer and I tested it, came up fine. It's a 12V battery for record.

Bike electrical works all just like it should except the dash won't light up and pressing the ignition won't start the bike. Doesn't even try to turn over.

Possible issue? I just replaced my frontside turn signals, and I think I left one of the connectors open (I didn't put the rubber protector back on), but the signals work fine, and the dash turn signal lights work just fine.

Posted at 8/18/2014 8:22:20 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

Your ignition switch may turn but there are a number of contacts in there and one or more of them may not be making. Clearly the common live feed to the indicators and neutral switch is working but the feed to the ignition and dash isn't. It could be that the dash lights and ignition are connected within the dash. You may also have a loose or dirty connection somewhere in the wiring, or even a broken wire. It may be significant that the problem started after the bike was left out in the rain. I'm not saying that any of this is certainly so, but it may be.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 8/18/2014 2:42:40 PM

JH94ARNG

Profile Photo JH94ARNG

This puppy right here. This buddy is buzzing when I flip on the kill switch. Vibrating and buzzing like it's shorted or something. Was sitting behind the windscreen under the dash. Could that be the problem?
Scratch that, I can't post links yet. It's a small 1'' x 2'' black box, looks made to not be taken apart.

imgur.com/UtQS9li

Edited by JH94ARNG at 8/18/2014 2:59:42 PM

Posted at 8/19/2014 1:45:03 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

No idea what that might be but if something is not normal then that is probably the problem. If you go onto a web-site like 'bike bandit' you will be able to find a parts fiche that may identify the buzzing box.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 8/19/2014 10:24:29 AM

GAJ

Profile Photo GAJ

• Motorcycle Pro

Sounds like a blown relay.

But I'm no mechanic, Richard is.

The only reason I mention the relay is because when I dropped my K75S when I first got the top heavy beast, trying to get it on the centerstand, when I picked it up it would not start and that was the diagnosis.

Current bikes: F800ST, DRZ400SM

Past bikes, starting with the first in 1970: CB50, K75S, Seca 550, Nighthawk 750, TL1000S

Posted at 9/1/2014 3:55:18 PM

JH94ARNG

Profile Photo JH94ARNG

Turns out nothing is wrong with the relay I can see.

The issue was a blown main fuse. Replaced it and the dash came on and the ignition will click now but not turn over. Clicking comes from the solenoid.

Next thing to check is the starter solenoid I'm assuming. I decided to start from the very bottom and work up. Thank god it's only going to a $25 fix I can do instead of an issue with the dash or something that would be $150 to replace.

Posted at 9/2/2014 1:48:07 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

Your battery sounds as though it is low, or it has had it. Recharge it. Sometimes when a battery has become too deeply discharged they will not charge again.

Old git on an old bike.

<<< 1 2>> >

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 2

There are 12 posts in this thread.