Whupped

Posted at 8/17/2014 5:54:43 AM

CBJason

CBJason Profile Photo

Whupped

For the last year or so, been scrimping and saving enough pennies to get into biking. With a sufficient store of funds to cover the basic accessories and a starter bike, I took the temp test at BMV, and signed up for the Basic Rider Course. Three days, one in classroom, two in a parking lot.

After the classroom, I was not impressed. The "instructors" basically had us taking turns reading out of the MSF manual, and didn't really do much else. I was happy to hear they would not be our "range" instructors. I tried to keep an open mind and not pre-judge the quality of instruction.

After the first day of instruction, I was exhausted! Exhilarated but exhausted. Not only did they have us debrief after each exercise, we kept going through each exercise until everyone got it right.

For some of the riding (clutch control and cornering) I remembered pretty quickly, though the Kawasaki I am on has a finicky clutch position to find and shift into. For others, I had a bit more of a challenge, specifically with quick stops.

The instructors worked with us extensively, giving us pointers and tips throughout the day. It was a great experience, and I would heartily recommend the riding portion for anyone. They challenged each of us, both mentally and physically. I was sufficiently whupped of all my energy by the time I got home and finished dinner.

Granted, it was warm out, and I was sweating a bit, but they did give breaks for hydrating and nourishment, so I think it was just draining to be riding for nearly six hours using muscles and learning or re-learning things I've not done in years!

Posted at 8/17/2014 7:05:31 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

I wish such things had been available when I started riding. It might have saved me some hard lessons.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 8/17/2014 8:52:29 AM

kz1000st

Profile Photo kz1000st

• Motorcycle Rider

My wife took the BRC to get her license. She remembers the lessons to this day.

Posted at 8/17/2014 10:41:21 AM

GAJ

Profile Photo GAJ

• Motorcycle Pro

Very smart of you to take the proper preliminary training.

Look at this as Kindergarten...there are years of further learning ahead and your biggest obstacle will be over confidence.

Highly recommend David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" as your next resource to help you advance.

It'll be $20 very well spent, trust me.

Current bikes: F800ST, DRZ400SM

Past bikes, starting with the first in 1970: CB50, K75S, Seca 550, Nighthawk 750, TL1000S

Posted at 8/17/2014 4:12:35 PM

budoka

Profile Photo budoka

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2009 Gold Wing 1800 Airbag

far better you got sweated up and tired out than scraped and torn on the street. There's few compromises on the road.

My Rides: 2003 VTR1000R/RC51; 2009 GL1800 Goldwing airbag model
So many bikes, so little coin...

Posted at 8/17/2014 7:13:59 PM

CBJason

Profile Photo CBJason

GAJ said:Very smart of you to take the proper preliminary training.

Look at this as Kindergarten...there are years of further learning ahead and your biggest obstacle will be over confidence.

Highly recommend David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" as your next resource to help you advance.

It'll be $20 very well spent, trust me.

Already bought it for the Kindle! ;)

Posted at 8/17/2014 7:16:09 PM

CBJason

Profile Photo CBJason

budoka said:far better you got sweated up and tired out than scraped and torn on the street. There's few compromises on the road.

Exactly!

Oh, btw, I passed...;)

Posted at 8/26/2014 9:54:03 AM

budoka

Profile Photo budoka

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2009 Gold Wing 1800 Airbag

Well done CB! Now don't forget what they taught you, many think it's a license to fly, but it's really a license to learn.

My Rides: 2003 VTR1000R/RC51; 2009 GL1800 Goldwing airbag model
So many bikes, so little coin...

Posted at 8/26/2014 10:43:08 AM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Pro
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA

Congratulations, CB! My rider course was very much like yours. I had an excellent range intstructor who was tough but fair and she taught me things that I still use to this day. It was a great experience that I would recommend to anyone who was thinking about getting into riding.

BTW, you will love the book. I bought a copy almost immediately and it was very helpful. I still reference it from time to time.

So now the big question! Do you have a bike yet? If not what are you looking to get?

What, Me Worry?

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 1

There are 9 posts in this thread.