New Rider First Bike

Posted at 8/24/2014 11:04:11 AM

GAJ

GAJ Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Pro

theyalg said:I am taking a 2 full day Basic Riders Course to get my license and then when I actually get a bike I want to take the Advanced Course

Smart move.

If you have the money, I'd recommend the Honda you like with ABS.

Generally it's hard to find used entry level motorcycles with ABS.

That will change in a few years of course, as, ideally, used is a better way to go for a first bike.

Current bikes: F800ST, DRZ400SM

Past bikes, starting with the first in 1970: CB50, K75S, Seca 550, Nighthawk 750, TL1000S

Posted at 8/30/2014 10:09:17 PM

oldsweetpea

Profile Photo oldsweetpea

my experience in the last two weeks

I too am new to riding. I bought my first bike a couple weeks ago it's 1981 honda cb750k. Once i got use the clutch to take off ive put about 10 miles on my bike just getting use to the shifting and stoppiing. i keep my bike out at my inlaws in the country, yesterday i tried to stop and turn around and cut my bars too sharp and laid it on the right side. i picked it up and it started after a few but i took it as a rookie mistake and kept on, then today i don't know what happened i was just trying to get to my side of the road and it's like it went the complete opposite direction spilled me into the ditch. i'm ok just in shock, i'm not discouraged. just hoping the bike and not me. super scary and weiner shrinking for sure.

Posted at 8/31/2014 2:10:28 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

An old 750 Honda is a long way from being a user friendly starter bike. Too big, too heavy and too unwieldy. You're making learning a lot harder than it need be. I never, ever did what you have just done and that is because I started on a small (very small) bike. I did chuck it down the road a couple of times later, through youthful foolishness, but that is a different kettle of fish.

Sometimes a self taught rider has a poor teacher and experience can offer some hard lessons.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 8/31/2014 9:41:40 AM

GAJ

Profile Photo GAJ

• Motorcycle Pro

oldsweetpea said:I too am new to riding. I bought my first bike a couple weeks ago it's 1981 honda cb750k. Once i got use the clutch to take off ive put about 10 miles on my bike just getting use to the shifting and stoppiing. i keep my bike out at my inlaws in the country, yesterday i tried to stop and turn around and cut my bars too sharp and laid it on the right side. i picked it up and it started after a few but i took it as a rookie mistake and kept on, then today i don't know what happened i was just trying to get to my side of the road and it's like it went the complete opposite direction spilled me into the ditch. i'm ok just in shock, i'm not discouraged. just hoping the bike and not me. super scary and weiner shrinking for sure.

Do you know what Counter Steering is?

I rode one of those early Honda 750's and they were tanks; not new rider friendly at all.

Current bikes: F800ST, DRZ400SM

Past bikes, starting with the first in 1970: CB50, K75S, Seca 550, Nighthawk 750, TL1000S

Posted at 8/31/2014 8:46:06 PM

theyalg

Profile Photo theyalg

Ive been reading about and watching on youtube what counter steering is. Its when you go into a turn and to get the lean you actually push forward on the side that you are going into the turn with to cause the bike to lean.

I am only taking the 2 day class next week so hopefully i will get some hands on experience with that. And also i wasnt planning on getting a 750 at all that is to much bike for me, my three options at the moment are the Suzuki GW250, Honda CB500X with ABS, or Kawasaki KLR 650. I like the honda because it has the ABS on it. the GW250 I have to see if I will be comfortble on it being 6'4".

Posted at 9/8/2014 11:33:14 AM

JH94ARNG

Profile Photo JH94ARNG

To be honest, counter-steering is hard to explain but easy to use.

You just kinda naturally do it. Then when you look down while doing it, it sorta perplexes you as to how it works. I'd suggest not thinking too hard about it as you're just going to complicate the idea for yourself. I snowboard, wakeboard, jetski enough that the idea of turning right to go left doesn't phase me a whole lot.

But for pure knowledge purposes, when going above 20mph, barely pulling the bars to the left will put you into a lean to go right. Pulling the bars to the right will put you into a lean to go left. It's not like a car where you turn the wheel a few rotations. It's a very slight pull that will get your bike going the direction you want to. And don't fear pulling too far and eating asphalt; unless you're a lunatic and are into that stuff. The bike gives natural resistance in the handles and naturally tries to right itself (most of the time).

<<<12 >>>

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 2 of 2

There are 15 posts in this thread.