WHAT SHOULD I PAY?

Posted at 8/24/2014 2:48:35 PM

TheGreatNewb

TheGreatNewb Profile Photo

WHAT SHOULD I PAY?

I'm coming home! Along with coming home I'm looking at getting a cruiser. Started out as a gas mileage thing... now it's just excitement. It's Aug 25th, and I'll be ready to buy (licensed and all by Jan) I'm looking for a used 800 - 1200cc cruiser with a 50's look. What should I expect to pay in the winter for a bike in that range? (I really like the looks of the Suzuki Boulevard c50 and c90)

Posted at 8/25/2014 2:09:50 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

I'm not in a position to answer your question but I will comment on the gas mileage thing. Motorcycles in general have poor gas mileage compared with many modern cars. I haven't owned many bikes that get better mileage than my Mini, apart from some very small ones. Some have been much worse. Add to that the cost of frequent tire replacement, more frequent servicing, the cost of helmets and clothing and you will find that large bikes are expensive playthings. Fun, but expensive.

I hope you plan to get some training, you will be a lot safer if you do. And you will find out if you enjoy riding. It has been known for potential riders to buy an expensive machine only to find riding isn't what they thought it would be.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 8/25/2014 9:26:36 AM

GAJ

Profile Photo GAJ

• Motorcycle Rider

Do you have any training, any experience?

Current bikes: F800ST, DRZ400SM

Past bikes, starting with the first in 1970: CB50, K75S, Seca 550, Nighthawk 750, TL1000S

Posted at 8/25/2014 3:16:58 PM

Easy Rider

Profile Photo Easy Rider

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom

Too many questions and too broad in scope.

You should get the training FIRST.
After that you can narrow things down a bit yourself.

Unless you are a fairly large person, you should drop the size down a notch......like 250 to 750 range.

Don't believe EVERYTHING that you think.
--------------------
My bike:
'10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom

Posted at 8/25/2014 3:56:50 PM

TheGreatNewb

Profile Photo TheGreatNewb

Thank you

I'm not a big guy, and between the replies I think that was a brick wall of reality. Thank you. I am going to go through a basic riders course before I buy, but that's a couple months away.

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 1

There are 5 posts in this thread.