Yamaha V Star 650 muffler baffles?

Posted at 4/16/2012 2:36:09 PM

RonS

RonS Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Newbie

Yamaha V Star 650 muffler baffles?

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post here, be gentle! :D

I just bought a V Star 650 Classic Silverado.

This is my first bike in 20+ years, previously I owned a completely stock Honda 550-four. It might have been a 750-four; my brother had a 750-four custom hardtail chopper and he says I had the same motor, but I don't think so, I think mine was the smaller version. It was so looong and many miles ago. The point is that I never did any work on my bike back then. I've done tons of work on my cars over the years, but never on a bike.

Anyway, back to the initial reason for the post. The seller told me the owner prior to him drilled out the baffles in the mufflers. They appear (from the outside) to be the stock Yamaha mufflers.

I don't know what the inside of the stock muffler is supposed to look like and I really can't tell if it's been drilled or not, nor can my shade-tree mechanic across the street. But they are louder than expected. Much louder.

I have rooted around on the 'net looking for a while, but can't seem to find the help I need. Motorcycle-usa kept popping up as a great resource, so here I am.

I really don't want a particularly loud bike, a nice throatiness a little rumbling would be good, but I don't want to bother the neighbors at all.

So that's the background. The questions are these:
1) What does a stock 2005 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado muffler look like from the rear? Does anyone have any pics?

2) Can just the baffles be replaced? I seem to only find the entire chrome setup for $350-$400, and I'm not sure if that's for one or for both pipes. At least that's what I think I'm seeing. I'm not familiar with Yamaha's part numbering scheme yet, and all the sites look like clones of one another, pulling data from the same supplier's store. Can generic baffles be welded in or some such, or do I really have to go for an entirely new system?

3) Hi! Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help. :D

Ron

Posted at 4/16/2012 3:02:16 PM

RonS

Profile Photo RonS

• Motorcycle Newbie

Can't save an attachment, hope it lets me post a pic...

www.oes.org/temp/SilveradoPipes.jpg

Nope, no links allowed. LOL
Newbie restrictions...sigh...

Posted at 4/17/2012 7:21:23 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

All of the four-stroke bikes I have ever owned have had the baffles welded in and they could not be removed. I would say that you are looking at new mufflers, or maybe you could find some used ones on eBay. It's not all bad news though, your bike will probably run better when it has a decent exhaust on it.

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 4/17/2012 10:10:54 AM

RonS

Profile Photo RonS

• Motorcycle Newbie

Yeah, thanks. Sadly, that's kind of what I was expecting.

The prices I saw online for aftermarket stuff still confuses me; I'm not sure if it's for the whole system, both mufflers or a single muffler.

I visited the Yamaha dealer today, and the prices for the two mufflers alone, were something like 690 for one and and 750 for the other... $1500!!! The guy and I were both laughing at that ridiculous price.

I wonder if someone is looking for louder pipes if they'd like to swap for mine plus cash... maybe I'll have to try craigslist... or call one of those aftermarket places for an explanation.... or both.

BTW, the forum reply notifications are messed up. In the embedded link, the question mark at the end of the title of the thread is included in the SEO'd URL. That's an error; URLs cannot contain a question mark in the middle, only at the end.

I received a reply notification for my own post. The forum shouldn't send a notification to the same userID as the poster. Ideally it should also note if the user is logged in, but that can be complicated.

I also received 4 notifications for Richard47's post. Only 1 had the embedded link, but all four had a footer on the email that just says "test".

Just thought if an admin rolled by the thread that they'd like to know. :D

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 1

There are 4 posts in this thread.