Used 1992 Kawasaki KLR 650

Posted at 9/3/2012 4:25:42 PM

abn505

abn505 Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Newbie

Used 1992 Kawasaki KLR 650

I've found a 92 KLR 650 for a little over 1k. It has over 31,000 miles on it. I've only seen Pics thus far (it looks decent), and it doesn't look like there are any aftermarket stuff on it. NADA has it listed for less. What would be a reasonable price? What else might I have to do to ensure it'll be in good running conditions besides oil/filter, spark plug, maybe tires, etc. Thanks

Posted at 9/3/2012 5:06:19 PM

Easy Rider

Profile Photo Easy Rider

• Motorcycle Rider
  • Bike: 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom

abn505 said: NADA has it listed for less. What would be a reasonable price?

If you are looking at the NADA "retail" price, then offer him that.

What's your background, mechanics wise ??.....and riding experience ??
I guess if you had a lot, you wouldn't be asking, huh ?? :wink:

You should see it start COLD and get a good test ride; if not you then someone you know who rides.
And **ASK** if there is anything wrong with it and if it has been wrecked. A lot of people will neglect to mention "things" but won't outright lie about it.

In addition to the things you listed, chain and sprockets can be a fairly major expense; brakes a minor hassle but not too expensive.

You can never be 100% sure you aren't getting a lemon but if it starts good, runs good, doesn't leak fluids and looks like it's been cared for relatively well........you can't go TOO wrong for less than a grand.

Don't believe EVERYTHING that you think.
--------------------
My bike:
'10 Kaw Vulcan 900 Custom

Posted at 9/3/2012 9:19:55 PM

abn505

Profile Photo abn505

• Motorcycle Newbie

Easy Rider said:
abn505 said: NADA has it listed for less. What would be a reasonable price?

If you are looking at the NADA "retail" price, then offer him that.

What's your background, mechanics wise ??.....and riding experience ??
I guess if you had a lot, you wouldn't be asking, huh ?? :wink:

You should see it start COLD and get a good test ride; if not you then someone you know who rides.
And **ASK** if there is anything wrong with it and if it has been wrecked. A lot of people will neglect to mention "things" but won't outright lie about it.

In addition to the things you listed, chain and sprockets can be a fairly major expense; brakes a minor hassle but not too expensive.

You can never be 100% sure you aren't getting a lemon but if it starts good, runs good, doesn't leak fluids and looks like it's been cared for relatively well........you can't go TOO wrong for less than a grand.

Posted at 9/4/2012 5:56:40 PM

abn505

Profile Photo abn505

• Motorcycle Newbie

I'm going to try and set up a test ride and have them do a cold start and then check for leaks, etc. Thanks for the response.

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 1 of 1

There are 4 posts in this thread.