85 MPH

Posted at 11/14/2012 2:52:09 PM

budoka

budoka Profile Photo

• Motorcycle Pro
  • Bike: 2009 Gold Wing 1800 Airbag

Not what I personally think either Racer. I do NOT believe in Nanny State legislation at all. I have to say though that there is a certain percentage of the motorist population (two, four or whatever amount of wheels) that are just plain untrustworthy at any speed. I've been on the road in the UK, Europe, Australia, and several island nations and I would pit my skills up with just about any of them. Not saying I'm that great or anything, but there's a whack of 'em around here that are way down the pole from where I reside. I don't worry about me or the chance that I'll freak some poor SOB out of his socks, but the rest of the driving world is what I get concerned with. The thought of these gropes flailing along at 85 mph when they are totally incompetant at 40 mph is just plain scary. I totally trust two people in this world: me and thee... and I often worry about thee.:lol: Figuratively speaking of course, but there's food for thought there. There's a series call Canada's Worst Driver that is in it's 3rd or fourth season now, and I can hardly bear to watch it; it's that frightening to know that these are real people driving around on our streets every day. Don't know what the answer is, I just see the problem.

My Rides: 2003 VTR1000R/RC51; 2009 GL1800 Goldwing airbag model
So many bikes, so little coin...

Posted at 11/15/2012 9:14:19 AM

Richard47

Profile Photo Richard47

• Motorcycle Pro

The answer is easy. Make people take a proper test of competence before they get to be in charge of a vehicle. If they are not competent they don't get to drive. And if people already driving/riding display incompetence they should not be allowed to drive again until they can prove they are competent.

You wouldn't expect aircrew, ships officers or train drivers to be incompetent, so why allow individuals to take charge of potentially lethal machines when they are not capable of using them safely?

Old git on an old bike.

Posted at 11/15/2012 12:06:22 PM

RaptorFA

Profile Photo RaptorFA

• Motorcycle Racer
  • Bike: 2011 GSX1250FA

I actually agree with this, Richard. I have long thought that the process of licensing people to use transport machines of any kind are completely insufficient. There has to be a tougher certification process instituted and harsher penalties levied for negligence.

After all, driving is NOT a right - it is a privilege, and things need to be taken more seriously. If you cannot demonstrate sufficient control of a machine, you should not be allowed to operate it. This is exactly why our insurance rates are so high.

I think insurance comapnies should start initiating programs to reward advanced drivers and riders with lower rates. This would give motivation to people to become better drivers/riders. The net effect would be safer roadways.

Of course, if public transportation would be better developed many of the bad drivers out there might might just choose that option, taking them off the road, further increasing safety. I know it's pretty idealistic and it will not happen, but it's a possibility.

What, Me Worry?

Posted at 11/15/2012 3:35:41 PM

DataDan

Profile Photo DataDan

• Motorcycle Rider

Much ado about nothing.

US roadways are getting safer every year--in terms of crashes, injuries, and deaths per mile traveled--a trend that has been going on for decades.

And in particular, Texas roadways with high speed limits have been getting safer too. Fear-mongering about the bloodbath that will surely occur with an 85mph limit (on a road designed with the high limit in mind) is no different than in 2002 when the unthinkable limit of 75 was applied in certain locations and in 2006 when the apocalyptic limit of 80 became law.

Even though it is hip and stylish, focusing on body position doesn't give you better command of the other [skills] and in many ways can actually slow your progress. It's like playing air guitar to a Jimi Hendrix tune.
--Keith Code

Posted at 11/15/2012 5:38:23 PM

skyhawk04kilo

Profile Photo skyhawk04kilo

• Motorcycle Rider

RaptorFA said:I have long thought that the process of licensing people to use transport machines of any kind are completely insufficient.

I think it's just cars.

It takes the average person about 60 hours of flight time to get their private pilot certificate, and the federal government requires at least 40 (35 if in a special program). The exam (checkride) is not easy and involves a written, oral, and practical test. The checkride takes the better part of a day once you go through the whole thing. Each subsequent rating and certificate requires another checkride. You have to re-up every 2 years even if you're Chuck Yeager and you fly 1,000 hours per year. You also have to pass a medical exam every X number of years (X varying based on your age, older folks being more frequent).

Having been through the checkride process 3 times for different ratings and flying overall for 10 years, I can say it is a pretty solid process. If driver's license certification were this stringent it would probably cut down on accidents but at a tremendous increase in cost. The DMV already blows, imagine what it would be like if you had to re-test every 2 years.

<<<12 3 >>>

Quick Navigation

You are viewing page 3 of 3

There are 24 posts in this thread.