Photos of Gobert’s 2005 YZF-R1. 2005 We Ride Gobert’s R1
- 2004 AMA Superstock Champion Aaron Gobert was smiling in this picture, but would he after we took his bike around the track a couple times?
- Although the Graves Motorsports team is facing stiffer competition in 2005, their bikes are still some of the prettiest in the paddock.
- The Graves bikes have a remote brake adjuster mounted on the left-side clip-on.
- A close up of the Graves titanium exhaust system.
- Here's Aaron Gobert showing us the proper way to ride his bike.
- Aaron Gobert (1) leads team owner Chuck Graves (2) in an impromptu race around Willow. Graves nearly pulled off the win but was beaten by his championship-winning rider.
- Riding a bike set up for a hard-riding pro didn't translate well with an amateur riding at lower speeds.
- Duke was happy Yamaha provided some stock R1's to warm up on before hopping on the real deal.
- There are strict limitations on modifications in the Superstock class, with the frame, swingarm, fork, brakes and throttle bodies having to remain stock.
- Several laps aboard a stock R1 weren't enough to prepare Duke for the devilish racebike.
- It took Duke several laps before he realized how much grip was available from the Dunlop slicks.
- Despite the Valentino Rossi helmet, Duke found Gobert's R1 to be too much for his talents to handle.
- In an ironic twist, Gobert was forced to lead Duke around Willow mounted on a stock R6 for the Speed Channel on-board camera.