We took the already potent 2009 KTM 450 SX ATV and put a few finishing touches on it to make it a high-end racer. Hinson Clutch Components spearheaded the effort and guided our project sport quad, and the result was a track-shredding motocross ATV. Read the 2009 KTM 450 SX ATV Review.
- 2009 KTM 450 SX ATV Review
- The stock aluminum muffler with spark arrestor was swapped out for an aftermarket slip-on unit. Following the KTM race team’s lead, a FMF Factory 4.1 can was bolted in place and the boost in reactive power was noticeable.
- The symbiotic action between the Scotts damper and Fox Shox up front and the BTL clutch and Podium X rear shock make this package extremely well-rounded.
- With strong, tractable power, the 450 SX doesn’t typically require much abuse on the hydraulic Magura clutch.
- Not only did the rear end resist kicking around, but riders were able to attack the descents and the following corners with greater speed, not to mention increased confidence and less rider fatigue.
- KTM makes a wicked ATV motocross machine in the 450 SX, but we tapped Hinson Clutch Components to help us make it even better.
- Campbell was especially impressed with a lack of binding and smooth action through the entire stroke devoid of harsh spots.
- The FMF Factory 4.1 exhaust muffler gave the 450 SX some extra bark. The other upgrades made it easier to ride so managing the power was much less fatiguing.
- The Hinson BTL clutch kit was the favorite upgrade for our testers.
- A few high-dollar upgrades are necessary for any sport ATV to make it truly competitive, but the KTM 450 SX really comes alive. Our testers think this bike could win at almost any level.
- The 2009 KTM 450 SX quad is a perfect example of how the Austrian company puts extra features on its machines which justify the cost.
- All of our suspension was ordered with an expert/pro-level rider in mind.
- A Fox Shox Podium X unit graced the back end. Unlike the radical fronts, this is more traditional with a spring and oil shock using a 47mm steel body and remote reservoir.
- A small internal compression spring controls valve stacks, but the pair of Float X Evol components utilizes two external air chambers to control damping.
- KTM manufactures a mounting position on the 450 SX right from the factory. This means that not putting one on your ATV is simply foolish.
- Fortunately, the 450 SX comes with Maxxis Razr MX tires, considered some of the best motocross ATV tires on the market, and we found them up to the task of transforming hard-hitting power into forward momentum.
- One of the biggest issues with ATV motocross racing comes in the abusive form of braking bumps. The solution is Hinson’s BTL (back torque limiting) clutch kit.