Our desert contributor, Chilly White, takes us back to the roots of Baja racing with the NORRA Mexican 1000 Rally. Also, White shows us his rebuild of a 1986 500XC Husqvarna.
- #87 CR390 waits to start.
- #87 CR390 waits to start
- The Husky 500xc goes back together piece by piece in what was an extremely slow and meticulous process..
- No gear, gasket or bearing was left unturned in their quest to return the Husky 500xc to its former glory.
- Final touches are added to the Husky to make it an exact replica of the factory 500XC Baja bikes of the period.
- In addition to an odometer, White and Bishop added their own roll chart for back-up navigation on the dash of the Husky.
- After hauling the broken bike to Laguna Chapala, White treated the rest of his trip as a vacation and cheered his friends on in the race.
- In downtown San Felipe Chilly's race came to an end when the Husk'e rear wheel locked up and the tranny broke.
- Same bike, same rider; both getting tuned up for another trip to LaPaz.
- The landscape surrounding the event was marvelous with views of Loreto and the Sea of Cortez.
- The starting line of the 2010 NORRA Mexican 1000 Rally.
- Ron Bishop's original 1986 Husky 500XC before the rebuild in preparation for the NORRA Mexican 1000 Rally.
- The Husky had an extremely thorough cleaning that included updating any worn or damaged parts.
- Complete teardown of '86 Husky 500.
- One of the vintage bikes making an appearance was Tim Morton's beautifully restored ’89 Honda XR600.