See how Pirelli designs and engineers its line of Diablo motorcycle tires as we visit its Siracusa Proving Grounds in the Inside Pirelli’s Siracusa Proving Grounds sportbike feature.
- Pirelli has a fleet of over 80 motorcycles and scooters which it uses to test and develop its tires.
- Pirelli’s Siracusa proving grounds was built in the 1960s and held Formula 1 car races. Its dilapidated surface is now perfect for tire testing.
- The Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP looks virtually identical to the DOT-legal road racing tire.
- Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP tires.
- The surface of the Siracusa test track is rough and bumpy which makes it ideal for testing tires.
- Salvo Pennisi heads up Pirelli's worldwide motorcycle tire testing effort and is one the the most interesting people you'll probably ever meet. Of course, he hauls ass on a motorcycle.
- The 3-plus mile track is divided into different sections in order to evaluate different aspects of tire performance.