It’s hard to evaluate a motorcycle in one ride so we go for a couple in this long-term review of the 2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S Project Bike.
- 2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S - $22,995.
- With over 160 horsepower at the rear tire the Panigale literally eats its Pirelli SP rear tire offering a life of less than 2000 miles. Add in a track day and mileage is further reduced.
- The S model’s electronic suspension is simple to adjust but we wish the menu system was a little faster and the buttons had a better tactile feel.
- Tire pressure is one of the most important settings to check before heading out on track.
- The Panigale turns with agility and is very easy to put exactly where the rider points it.
- The 1199 Panigale is the most versatile Superbike Ducati has ever made. Here it is at this summer’s MotoGP race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
- The 1199 Panigale continues to carry that lively, exciting and slightly wild Superbike experience that we’ve come to love from Ducati.
- In stock form the rear end of the Panigale doesn’t have enough free sag equating to a harsh ride. We took out ½ turn of preload giving it a lower and plusher feel.
- Fork preload can be adjusted after removing the electronic plug-in atop the fork leg. We would up maxing out the setting on track.
- The Panigale has the brightest and most functional head lamps of any liter-bike for night riding.
- Fitting a zip-tie on the fork leg allows you to monitor how much travel the front suspension is using.
- We swapped out the well-worn Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP tires for SC1-compound slicks.
- The only mechanical issue we had with our Panigale was the sidestand bolt coming lose. It was a simple five-minute fix.
- The Ducati’s electronics help make it an easier motorcycle to ride however it still with its obscene power-to-weight ratio it is one of the more aggressive sportbikes made today.
- As you can see the 1199 Superquadro engine loses low-end torque for high rpm horsepower. While we like it during track maneuvers the powerband isn’t as rider-friendly on the street.
- Add fuel and race slicks and the Panigale is a potent and highly entertaining track bike.