We take the latest cruiser motorcycle from Moto Guzzi, the 2013 California 1400 Custom, for a test ride around our favorite testing grounds here in southern Oregon.
- The 2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom comes with three engine maps: Sport, Touring and Rain. Guess which one we like best.
- Moto Guzzi ups the ante in the cruiser market by equipping its 2013 California 1400 Custom with a host of high-end electronics, including traction control, variable engine maps, ABS, cruise control and a ride-by-wire throttle system.
- The 2013 Guzzi California 1400 is an ideal bike for touring the winerys of southern Oregon. Of course, we did the tasting after we were done riding.
- The 2013 California 1400 Custom is rock-solid through sweepers and is easy to manuever at parking lot speeds, but it carries a lot of its weight low and forward and it will fall a bit in tight turns.
- A well-padded saddle and an open rider's triangle make for comfortable, easy-going miles on the Guzzi California 1400 Custom.
- The Guzzi California 1400 Custom melds classic with contemporary. A good example is the jazzy space-age headlight.
- With dual 320mm discs and four-pot Brembo calipers, the brakes on the 2013 California 1400 Custom are powerful enough to quickly scrub speed off the 709-pound cruiser.
- The lone gauge on the 2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom is mounted high and big enough so it's easy to read at speed.
- The floorboards on the California 1400 are up high and allow for generous lean angles.
- The 2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom is powered by the Italian marque's signature transversally mounted V-Twin which delivers plenty of get-up-and-go.
- We went exploring the forests of our home state of Oregon to test the merits of Moto Guzzi's latest cruiser motorcycle, the 2013 California 1400 Custom.
- The California 1400 Custom's traction control gave us peace of mind when we decided to take it off the beaten, paved path.
- The 2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom is a striking looking motorcycle. Not surprising seeing how it was designed by Miguel Galluzi.
- A smooth-shifting gearbox, exemplary suspension, and powerful brakes are all traits of the 2013 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom.