Take an up close look at Yamaha’s updated-for-2014 Super Tenere adventure-touring motorcycle in this photo gallery. Find out more about it in the 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES First Ride.
- While the front brake is linked to the rear, the back brake can be actuated independently. It would be nice if ABS could be disabled—especially off-road.
- The Super Tenere’s engine received mechanical updates to make it more efficient and quicker to rev. However the most noticeable differences is its updated D-Mode throttle/engine map programming.
- The rear tray can be removed exposing a mounting bracket for an optional top case.
- The up-spec ‘ES’ model allows the rider to tune the preload and damping of the fork and shock electronically. We preferred the maximum setting for solo riding on the street and trail
- In motion the Super Tenere is a surprisingly competent motorcycle off-road. The road-oriented Bridgestone Battle Wings also performed better than expected.
- On the road the Super Tenere’s handling is excellent. It carries its weight well and feels connected to the road.
- The Super Tenere’s suspension is well damped and functions well even during sportier rides.
- Despite a curb weight in excess of 600 pounds the Super Tenere is more maneuverable than you would expect.
- The Super Tenere has 7.5-inches of travel fore and aft allowing it to handle light off-road riding with ease.
- The cockpit of the Super Tenere is nothing short of fantastic. Its quiet, comfortable and well adept at racking up serious mileage.
- The windscreen and chin deflector feature an updated shape for enhanced wind protection.
- 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES with optional side cases.
- Despite only pumping out around 90 horsepower at the back tire the Super Tenere holds its own and packs modest, but fun acceleration punch.
- The front brakes offer plenty of power and feel and on the street we like the function of the ABS. Off-road however the electronics make it more difficult to ride quickly.
- Yamaha’s Super Tenere is without question the most versatile and well-rounded motorcycle in its model line-up.
- The unique uneven firing order of the Super Tenere’s 1199cc Parallel Twin engine makes it more playful and fun to ride.