Memorable Motorcycles – Cagiva Raptor 1000 – The Cagiva Raptor 1000, the brain-child of Miguel-Angel Galluzzi, was quick, agile, and had all the necessary traits. Check out the full story in Memorable Motorcycles: Cagiva Raptor 1000.
- The Cagiva Raptor 1000 has a wide powerband and excellent roll-on acceleration that impressed even an old-schooler like Melling.
- Melling says 'Forget your Big Fours, this motor is turbine smooth with the sweetest gearbox imaginable and a featherlight clutch.'
- Cagiva took the naked look to the extreme because there's not much between the engine and the ground.
- In choosing the narrow, powerful, 90 degree V-Twin Suzuki TL1000 engine, Cagiva was looking for a motor that would square up to the Ducati Monster's eight-valve liquid-cooled Vee.
- Cagiva's styling includes a generous amount of carbon fiber throughout the bike.
- The Raptor's front end is anchored by a 43mm inverted Marzocchi fork with 4.72-inches of travel and 320mm Brembo discs that are powerful but not overdone.
- With a 98 x 66mm bore and stroke and a claimed 105 hp the TL1000 engine delivers the power you'd expect from a big V-twin.
- Though the 2001 Cagiva Raptor 1000 had muscle and handling, the timing of the bike's release resulted in lower sales figures than the bike's worthy of.
- The Raptor's light weight and low seat height are attractive features for riders of smaller dimensions who desire the thrill of a sporty over the pull of a mid-sized cruiser.
- The handling of the prototype was a little sketchy, so Cagiva extended the wheelbase and increased the steering head angle.
- The Cagiva Raptor 1000's gauges are minimalist but include a digital speedo and a scrollable digital readout for coolant temp, an odometer, trip mileage, and tach.
- The Cagiva Raptor 1000 was the brain-child of Miguel-Angel Galluzzi (of Ducati Monster fame).
- If the Raptor 1000 would have received the funds and attention Claudio Castiglioni's other enterprise MV Agustu did, the bike could have been a serious contender in the streetfighter class.