We escaped Bike Week 2014 for a day trip to St. Augustine, Florida, onboard a 2014 Indian Chief Classic as we chase down a bit of family history.
- The "Oldest Wood School House in the USA” is a 200-year-old house made from red cedar and cypress and held together with wooden pegs and handmade nails.
- We went on a quest to connect with family history in St. Augustine that led us to the French bakery called Denoel where we shared stories with long-time owner, Guy Denoel.
- Arrgh! There be pirates in the bay. I'm ready to blast them to smithereens.
- Getting to travel to a city with almost 500 years of American history on a bike with over 100 years of history made for a nostalgic adventure.
- We passed by the Authentic Old Drugstore that now houses a wax museum while rumbling around St. Augustine on the 2014 Indian Chief Classic.
- We escaped the craziness of Bike Week 2014 with a day trip to historic St. Augustine, Florida, where we got swept up in its old world charm.
- The Castillo de San Marcos is a Spanish fort that's over 300 years old and was made from millions of seashells in a mixture they called coquina.
- A visit to the Castillo de San Marcos is a must if traveling to history-rich St. Augustine.
- There's plenty of quaint cobbled roads to rumble around in St. Augustine. Fortunately, the suspension of the 2014 Indian Chief Classic was up to the task.
- The cannons of the Castillo de San Marcos are works of art in their own right.
- With few clues to go by, we were ecstatic to find Denoel tucked into a little side street in St. Augustine's historic colonial quarters.
- The French bakery called Denoel, owned by the same people since 1966, continues to carry on the traditions established by my wife's grandparents.
- Owner Guy Denoel invited us into his French pastry shop where we got a sense of the spirits of my wife's ancestry.
- St. Augustine is rich in architecture, with a history that dates back to 1565.