Though he’s our Memorable Motorcycles man, Frank Melling loves to ride motorcycles from the modern era as well. Read on to hear Melling’s take on the Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
- After five minutes of riding, Melling, a prudent man, was sold on the virtues of the V-Strom.
- The topcase held two Arai helmets, two pairs of gloves and a few assorted bits and pieces without difficulty.
- When Frank started looking for a fast tourer/commuter/Sunday fun-ride/working machine, Suzuki's V-Strom kept coming up in conversations.
- The small windshield doesn't provide much protection from buffeting once you get the DL 1000 up to speed.
- Melling wasn't immediately sold on the styling of the V-Strom, but over time it has grown on him.
- Melling easily whistled through the 100mph chicanes of Darley Moor race circuit aboard the big V-Strom.
- The Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom enjoys a devoted group of loyal riders who swear by the bike's abilities.
- The Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom so impressed our resident classic motorcycle guru that he just had to write an article about it.
- Though Melling is primarily our Memorable Motorcycles man, he likes to ride and share tales about modern motorcycles as well.
- The V-Strom is a jack-of-all-trades in the motorcycle world, capable of filling numerous roles in one bike.
- Drop the DL down a gear, rev the motor a bit, and suddenly it's not a bad sport-tourer.
- The front fork on the DL 1000 is only mediocre and flexes quite a bit when the bike is ridden hard.
- The eight-valve Twin of the DL puts out a claimed 98hp at 7600rpm. The engine impressed Melling so that he went out and bought a V-Strom.